Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sophos9
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Happisburgh, Norfolk - ADSL Performance Headache, dropping out and slow speeds

Go to solution

For years, the local community I live in has had the same problem with poor ADSL performance. I spent over a year, 19 visits from BT, life and shifts, you name it - BT did it but still people living around this area have the same problem. I have to admit, I just caved in in the end and gave up but recently the problem has become much worse so have to get this fixed - the couple over the road has not had working broadband for over 6 weeks, its crazy.

The fault conditions are:

• Broadband drops out when someone calls the home phone
  • Significant amount of line desyncs
  • Random crackling audible on the phone
  • Downstream connection speed degraded from 5.7mb down to 2.5mb, upstream from 1mb to between 100k to 500k
  • Latency from typical 12ms to 39ms

What I've tried:

• Changed routers
  • Changed filters
  • Direct into phone socket (no internal wiring)
  • Tested for patterns in disconnect/crackling on phone - always random
  • Tested for REINS (I'm amatuer radio operator and have gear to frequency monitor)

What others in the community are feeling:

• Same problems however some have lost their ADSL connection for over 6 weeks
  • Those in the village who are connected to FTTC enabled cabs are experiencing the same problem, significant amount of random disconnects

My line stats:

xDSL
ModeADSL_2plus
Traffic TypeATM
StatusUp
Link Power StateL0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding (Trellis)OnOn
SNR Margin (dB)12.110.6
Attenuation (dB)54.033.2
Output Power (dBm)0.012.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps)2896560

Rate (Kbps)2685503

What BTWholesale suggest I should get:       

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4.5--3 to 9Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4.5Up to 0.53 to 9Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1 to 4Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available--------
Fixed Rate1----Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------

I'm hoping for someone in BT to help with this problem. The automated trouble shooting is not helpful, talking to call handling agents has not been helpful either. I remember some help from BT on these forums last time which went well.

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Happisburgh, Norfolk - ADSL Performance Headache, dropping out and slow speeds

Go to solution

@sophos9

Is this the same problem you had here

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Broadband-connection-drops-on-incoming-phone...

I see that this was never marked as solved, so is the problem still there?

0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: Happisburgh, Norfolk - ADSL Performance Headache, dropping out and slow speeds

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Exactly the same problem - after recently talking about this at a village get together, every single person I spoke to has the same problem. Probably around 20 ish houesholds I spoke with so with renewed energy I'm going back around the loop and want to see this through to the right conclusion

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @sophos9 Sorry you are still experiencing problems with your broadband connection.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks JohnC2 - I'll do that shortly
0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Mods contacted me, engineer coming out on Friday

In the meatime

Ping: 1 device attached via cat cable to router - all sorts of slowness

Request timed out.
Reply from 216.58.204.67: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=51
Reply from 216.58.204.67: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=51
Reply from 216.58.204.67: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=51
Reply from 216.58.204.67: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=51
Reply from 216.58.204.67: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=51
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 216.58.204.67: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=51
Reply from 216.58.204.67: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=51
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Quiet Line Test

Listened for around 2 mins and heard 4 episodes of short scratching sounds

Line Drops

Probably around 30 so far, caused problems with VPN into work and other things that are typically taken for granted like watching youtube, kids gaming etc

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
 if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi john46,

The problem I've had several times in the past is that its intermitant and each time a BT engineer arrives, they listen, dont hear anything then move on to the next job. If it was there all the time it would be easier 😞

Helpful guy who contacted me from this post suggested trying to allocate times it crackles to certain events like raining etc but like tonight, there is no rain.

Other times I can listen on quiet line test and I hear no noise at all

0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

More disconnects, upstream SNR looks to have adjusted to reflect some line conditions. Quiet line test for 5 mins at 18:34, not one crackle.

Happened at 11:07 - no rain or wet conditions

DownstreamUpstream
SNR Margin (dB)12.013.9
Attenuation (dB)54.033.3
Attainable Rate (Kbps)3032312

Rate (Kbps)2766266
0 Ratings
Highlighted
sophos9
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Engineer came out today, really helpful guy but again, BTOR wasted his own time and ours. He tested the line and saw the condition where an incoming call drops the ADSL connection. He also did the following:

• Changed our exchange connection to new TII termination blocks that was recently installed in the exchange
  • Installed a new BT5C Mk4 faceplate
  • Tested line conditions
  • Our upstream has now been hard capped at 512k despite asking for it not to be

Had around 6 disconnections - on the last drop out I did another quiet line test and had 5 minutes of listening to sizzling crackling noises. Line finally reset to the stats below.

The problem I've identified so far:

• Incoming phone call drops the connection
  • Upstream is whats typically affected (can see that in in the amount of HEC errors etc)
  • More instances than not, crackling can be heard on the line at the point of drop out (need to test this further)
  • Crackling on the line is intermitant
  • Same fault condition is happening across all residents in the same close or worse (i.e total broadband and telephone line failure - all connected to the same cabinet)

The engineer told us that the close we live in comes up a lot in conversation and has had problems for a long time but because engineers dont have 'their own patch' no one has really taken ownership of the overall problem.

We can see that BT engineers have been digging up stuff around 10mtrs away from our house to fix a neighbours problem who has had no landline or broadband for over 7 weeks now. Interestingly one of the engineers had mentioned to its a known problem with the underground wiring (our wiring is underground all the way to the cabinet) and BTOR is not going to replace it but again, this is not being looked at systemically. That same engineer advised residents to raise a directorate complaint.

In the meantime I will get cracking on calling a parish council meeting on this, bring the local MP along wth BDUK representation and invite all names/addresses of affected residents in preparation for a petition to BTOR and respective ISP's. Why? Everyone here feels powerless and has given up, I know how that feels and its just not acceptable.

So I'll wait for BT to get back to me, move on to the next stage with the helpful guys from BT and see what can be done - I'm sure we will all grab a spade if BT wants some digging power!

DownstreamUpstream
SNR Margin (dB)9.121.1
Attenuation (dB)53.533.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps)3996468

Rate (Kbps)3641230

Oh also forgot to mention. The engineer tested our line from the exchange - he described it as in testing our line as if it was not directly connected to the exchange to rule out line to the cab then line from cab to premises. He said despite removing the cable and cab from the equation, he could replicate the line drop on incoming call so suspected exchange equipment. He moved us to the newly installed TII Blocks.

0 Ratings