Wanted to be sure that we wouldn't get charged as money is tight. Will see about engineer and report what he says.
you need to get engineer to fix the noise problem on your line
if you look a t dslchecker results you posted you have fibre available to yo with estimated down speed 78/55mb and up of 20/10mb alternatively if you don't want fibre then you could upgrade to adsl2 which estimates a down speed of 17mb and up of about 1mb
All the online checkers said I couldn't get above an 8mb package in my area. How would I go about getting this Fibre?
was the dslchecker results from entering your phone number? if so then phone 0800800030 and they will help
If we upgrade to fibre would it eliminate the need for an engineer to come out to sort the noise on the line.
there is no way of knowing if the problem is on copper from exchange to cabinet or cabinet to home. if it is the latter which is most likely then moving to FTTC will not help as you still use the copper from cabinet to your home
So getting an engineer visit for the noise problem first would be better than going straight for the upgrade.
Yes get connection fixed first then decide way you want to go after that