cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toonlass
Contributor
Message 41 of 68

Re: Help! Really stuck as to what is causing drop in speeds...

Go to solution

Please find the line statistics below (hopefuly they show up ok).  This was done  using a wired connection. Thank you Line Stats 1Line stats 2Line Stats 3

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 68

Go to solution
the speedtest results look ok a typical range of speed changes due to general internet activity
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 43 of 68

Go to solution
Thanks for the hard work with the stats .... from what I can see, as I suspected the line is suffering because of depleted margin. Some lines have been trialled at 3db by BT rather than target 6db, but yours isn't. What is happening is that morning and afternoon sees an SNRm of about 5db and the linespeed picks up, in one instance the RAS profile was raised because of it. But at night as margin erodes it falls dramatically to around 2db. What that means is at your lines loop loss (length from exchange) it's probably having to do quite a large amount of bitswapping within the ADSL spectrum to transmit the packet payload ... but it is slowing it down because of it. Eroding margin is normal at night because of electrical activity around the home, outside street lamps, environmental conditions etc .... but yours looks quite bad. Things to do: check out your line noise night time to see if anything's happening on the line, dial 17070 option 2, quiet line test. If that's ok, look at good cable segregation, keep mains away from network, router data cables. Check the proximity of your router/hub to plasma tv's, large speaker systems and look for things like lighting units around your data equipment. Even low energy bulbs can induce impulse noise. If you don't find anything at all, consider a fully screened RJ11 cable for your router/hub. If nothing works at all and it doesn't improve, it can be reset with moderator help ... but we need to see if it's just a transient issue first off. 😉
0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 44 of 68

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your advice, I will try to sort out the cables this weekend and check other factors you mention.  How far from the router do energy bulbs start to have an effect? I presume if they are off the do not?  Also, our NAS server is next to the router as needs to be wired and there are limited other locataions.  Could this also have an effect? Shall i move as far as psosible away (1m)?

Thank you - it is good to hear that there maybe a reason for our issues

Alex

0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 45 of 68

Go to solution
Hello,
I have done the quiet line test late at night and there is no noise present(it's the same as day time.)
Over the past week I have organised the cables so they are away from the mains. I have turned off our cordless phone, server and sonos bridge but this hasn't helped. Would you be able to give me a link for the cable? Perhaps on Amazon? I have been looking but there are so many ! Thank you. Another evening ruined tonight as we couldn't even stream a movie.....
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 46 of 68

Go to solution

Go for an RJ11 ... if it doesn't improve, go for a reset after your efforts, and the cable.  Belkin High Speed Internet Modem Cable RJ11 To RJ11 M/M

0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 47 of 68

Go to solution
The RJ11 cable doesn't appear to have resolved our issues as we still are unable to stream this evening, even via eithernet?! Shall I try the RJ11 in the master socket?
0 Ratings
toonlass
Contributor
Message 48 of 68

Go to solution
Have tried the master socket tonrouter with the new cable then Ethernet to our PS3 but still Amazon prime said insufficient bandwidth to stream! It's usually better in the evenings? How can I arrange the reset you mention,?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 49 of 68

Go to solution
We need some moderator help now ... wait for an invite to contact a mod, usually takes a day or two, then drop them an email, when it gets to the top of the pile it's picked up. They'll look at your line in detail using special software and help you out and own the problem until it's resolved. Good luck. 😉
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 68

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings