cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Help, exhausted all possible options!?

Hi,

Be prepared for a lengthy read.

I moved into a propery July 2017, where eventually I got BT Broadband activated. It was the unlimited option, on an ADSL2+ line. I was told I can expect UPTO 17Mbps with a minimum guarantee of 4Mbps (Check the margin here guys! - How can this be acceptable in 2018?)

I used my SmartHub as the router - the same one I had from my previous address where I had BT Fibre. (BT insisted I use the same router).

After several months, I noticed that during peak hours, I would suffer connection loss, incredibly low speeds (0.2 mbps). I would have to restart the router, and then I'd get a temporary regain, and a few minutes later speeds were too slow to use internet. I then would revert to 4G on my mobile devices.

I contacted BT around December time, and they sent an engineer, who could find no fault (Engineer was sent during morning hours despite me insisting on arriving in the peak hours as this is when the fault was mainly occuring). A few weeks go by of me basically ignoring the issue and using my 4G and my wife just about able to use her emails from laptop during the day.

During this time I did the necessary tests which included, activating the 5GHz band and all devices that supports 5Ghz would connect to this. Ensuring I had selected the optimum channels - again did not fix the problem.

BT then sent me a HomeHub as apparently the SmartHub was designed for Fibre and as I was on copper the HomeHub was best for this... - this made no difference.. (side note: they sent me someone elses router which contained all their wifi devices so I was able to easily identify persons who had previously connected to the wifi - quite a serious fail in their data security!!)

A few weeks go by and another engineer comes to the exchange, apparently there was overheating at the exchange due to excess usage during peak hours.. However I never heard if this was repaired as I never got any phone call back, and when I chased this up there were apparently no engineer notes on the log.

After further complaints, an OpenReach engineer came (4th) to do a line to line check, again this found no faults (they keep coming during off-peak hours!!? despite me telling them this) - They told my wife that there was no faults with the line and this issue lies with the ISP/BT, and suggested I google Gavin Patterson CEO of BT and complain directly to him! Talk about a professional outfit.....

Then most recently I called up about this last visit, and I was told it may be interference with my SkyBox and must turn this off for a few days.. I did this, completely pulled out ethernet cables and disabled the wifi on sky box, and again this made no difference.

So now.. BT have said they have to send 1 last engineer to ensure that either this is as good as my broadband will ever get.. (14Mbps during the morning and intermittently at that, and 0.2Mbps in the evenings - well below my minimum guaranteed) whereby they'll offer a lower price or then I can terminate my contract...

There appears to be constant toing and froing, me having to explain my issue from scratch everytime I talk to someone, no engineer notes, reluctance to take owernship and assist a paying customer who isn't get a service. Now I'm aware that BT will not care much should 1 customer suffer these issues, they spend some money on engineer callouts, appease me for a little and hope the problem sorts itself out. They're hardly going to lose much on my £30 a month I'm giving them.. - What else can I do?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Help, exhausted all possible options!?

@JohnSmithTetley

Welcome to the Forums.  A few checks 1stly can you put your landline number into this DSL Checker and copy and paste the results in the forum?  Please remove your number before posting. 

2ndly can you obtain the connection stats from the router? Go into the router and click on Status. Copy and paste that as well please.  

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

can you run btspeedtester with a wired connection and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  can you do it when speed appears on - off peak and agian when poor presumably during peak time  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

please use chrome/edge/ie and not firefox

please leave the exchange and cab number when you post dslchecker results requested by @CJT80

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 17

DSL Checker

Telephone Number *************on Exchange GREAT YELDHAM is served by Cabinet 1

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 14.5--12.5 to 16Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 14.5Up to 1.512.5 to 16Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date23-03-2018 

Router Connection Status

Connection status:

BT Broadband /
BT Infinity /
BT Infinity 3 and 4 :

BT Broadband

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

10-Jan-2018

Serial number:

+084316+NQ72030045

Downstream sync speed:

17.02 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

828.00 kbps

Network uptime:

0 Days, 12 Hours 19 Minutes

System uptime:

2 Days, 21 Hours 12 Minutes

BT Wi-fi status:

Active

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

if you now have hh5 can you post stats - troubleshooting then helpdesk

from these stats posted you have 17mb connection so above dslchecker estimate so good

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 17

BT Wholesale Speed Test

This was offpeak (1600 and 1610hrs) I am getting some ridiculous readings.. 46Mbps.. Somehow I cannot believe I am acheiving over x2 my IP profile and downsync speed (I am NOT on fibre as cofirmed by DSL checker. Ookla shows a more reasonable speed (this has happened in the past. When it works, BT wholesale shows I'm getting around 14 during offpeak.

FIRST TEST

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 46.18 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 46.18 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 15.01 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.42 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.42Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

SECOND TEST

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 36.9 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 36.9 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 15.01 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.42 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.42Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

OOKLA TEST

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

I reverted back to the SmartHub after further advice from another BT customer support contradicting the advice of the other.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 17

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ72030045

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

10-Jan-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 12 Hours 42 Minutes 24 Seconds

Data rate:

828 Kbps / 17.02 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1436 / 18464

Noise margin:

11.7 dB / 3.3 dB

Line attenuation:

18.5 dB

Signal attenuation:

8.7 dB / 18.5 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_992_5_ANNEX_A

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

12767 MB Uploaded / 37050 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

REDACTED

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

REDACTED

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

84:A1:D1:87:9A:31

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

when you did btspeedtester did you use firefox?  try using edge as that seems to work from other posrts

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Looks like Edge worked:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 11.07 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.07 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 15.01 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.68 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.68Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
0 Ratings