Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the_ref
Message 1 of 11

Help with wiring/slow upload speed

Go to solution

Hi,

I got broadband installed last Thursday. It's been pretty poor, though it's been a long time since I"ve been on "standard" broadband, so didn't know exactly, plus I'm quite far from the exchange.

After spending some time reading this very helpful forum, I did the BT speed tests - and it turned out upload speed was showing zero (or at least as close to as possible!)

So I managed to find the master socket, and took the face plate off. I plugged the microfilter into the test socket, and re-ran my speed test. The results were a lot closer to what I expected, and performance is OK. 

So my question is pretty much what to do next. The master socket is fine where it is - hub is there, as is phone. No further extensions needed. I've attached some pictures of the plate that I took off, and what was behind it. 

To expose any further wires, I'd need to unscrew the next bit, and as I'm unsure whether BT frown about this, I just left it until I got some help. 

There is another socket in the house which appears to be dead. The wire connecting it seems to run outside the house, but I can't follow it past the door frame. The master socket I mentioned above definitely leaves the house and is connected to a telegraph pole, so I'm assuming it's the correct one.

So any thoughts on what I should be unscrewing next? Is there any problem with just leave it plugged into test socket?

P1120821.jpg

P1120824.jpg

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Help with wiring/slow upload speed

Go to solution

There is nothing more to unscrew. There is nothing stopping you staying in test socket if that works for you. As long as other socket is dead when you are in test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
the_ref
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
so it's not worth trying disconnecting ring wire, etc?

Quite happy to stay with the test connections, just the curious side of me wonders why a socket that doesn't seem to go anywhere else could have issues with the plate on, but not with the test socket, and how I could actually do anything about it.

Any value in trying an I-plate?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
There is no bell wire installed to remove and the Iplate will not help at all
the_ref
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
great, thanks.
0 Ratings
the_ref
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

My happiness with progress last night seems to have been somewhat premature - I'm still plugged into the test socket, but am now getting the same kind of issue.

See result posted below - download is ok, but upload has slowed to a trickle again for some reason. Any thoughts?

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1.24 Mbps

0 Mbps2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.24 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.27 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.03 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.03Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Can you post any router stats?
the_ref
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

are these the relevant stats (I'm going by the sticky)

This is the latest DSL messages.

07:20:51, 23 Dec.( 196.490000) DSL is up
07:20:50, 23 Dec.( 195.540000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.20 dB downstream
07:20:50, 23 Dec.( 195.470000) DSL line rate: 64 Kbps upstream, 1440 Kbps downstream
07:19:29, 23 Dec.

( 114.180000) DSL is down after 0 minutes uptime

About a minute before that, I got this, which looks "better" if I'm reading it correctly. But not had any DSL messages since the one at 7:20

07:19:24, 23 Dec.( 109.110000) DSL is up
07:19:23, 23 Dec.( 108.160000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.20 dB downstream
07:19:23, 23 Dec.( 108.090000) DSL line rate: 352 Kbps upstream, 1600 Kbps downstream
07:18:49, 23 Dec.( 74.130000) DSL is down after 0 minutes uptime
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
the_ref
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Text is a bit mangled, as I get a message about invalid HTML being stripped when I try and post it as copy and paste -

Telephone Number  on Exchange PENTLAND is served by Cabinet 4

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstreamange(Mbps) Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 2.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings