Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

High packet loss

Hi,

For at least 2-3 weeks our broadband connection has developed high packet loss, in the region of 8-10%.  I thought it was originally due to weather conditions with recent storms / flooding however the problem has not improved at all, maybe they caused permanent damage.  Our internet is through a BT Hub 6 with Ethernet running to the computer

I contacted BT a few days ago and they ran a line test and said they could see no fault and also refreshed the line, saying to check back in two days if things havent resolved.  2 days later there is no difference other than a marginally higher download speed.

I have checked the test phone number and only hear a barely audible hum, not sure if that is enough to cause an issue.

I have also tested the router on the test socket with no difference in packet loss.

I looked into ping plotting to try see where packet loss might be occurring.  To begin with I pinged our own default gate for 30min with zero packet loss, making me think it is almost certainly an issue outside the house.  I have tried disconnecting all other devices and also checking for packet loss on another PC within the home, only to get identical results.

I have since pinged bbc.co.uk for 2 days with an average of 8% packet loss which is fairly consistent throughout the day from morning to night and whether the broadband is idle or downloading / streaming seems to make little difference to the packet loss %.  I have attached results from pinging bbc.co.uk over the last few days.

https://i.imgur.com/E8vGqJU.png

It seems the packet loss begins after leaving the hub with all subsequent hops also having a degree of loss.  Interestingly the average latency is quite good, both idle and while in use, its just the fact packets are going missing causing spikes, making things like gaming impossible and stuttering while browsing / loading web pages.  I suspect it is maybe a fault or cable needing renewed locally / outside the house?

I wonder if anyone here can assist with finding the cause of the packet loss issue and direct me how to go about resolving it.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: High packet loss

@Wylie111 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Only a very faint hum, but i hear that barely audible hum before i dial so assumed it was just the phone quality, should it be 100% silent?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@Wylie111 wrote:
Only a very faint hum, but i hear that barely audible hum before i dial so assumed it was just the phone quality, should it be 100% silent?

Its always difficult to tell with ADSL, but hum normally indicates a earthing fault, which will cause errors on your broadband connection causing packet loss if they are very bad.

Have you run a BT line test to see if any faults are detected?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I have run the BT line tests online with no fault detected and when I contacted BT a few days ago they also tested and "refreshed the line" saying they didnt detect any faults.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Wylie111 wrote:
I have run the BT line tests online with no fault detected and when I contacted BT a few days ago they also tested and "refreshed the line" saying they didnt detect any faults.

They always seem to say that, Apart from dropping the connection and forcing a re-sync, there is not much they can do.

What sort of connection speed do you get on your ADSL connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Get around 10-11Mbps down and usually between 0.5-1Mbps upload.

Those speeds are what we have been getting for the past few years and still now during the recent problems.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

So I eventually got in touch with someone at BT support who seemed to understand there was an issue, they raised a complaint and booked an engineer.

We got a text the following week saying they have checked and the service should be back to normal, and if not, to leave it 3 days.  This was almost two weeks ago and since then there has been no improvement to the packet loss, still averaging 10%+ lost at all times.

This has become even more of an issue now that I have to work from home with online voice call quality being terrible when collaborating with colleagues.  

I know now isnt ideal for them to fix the issue but how can I get someone to understand the problem and fix it and not keep fobbing me off?

0 Ratings