cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
betterthanclay
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

High resistance fault? Maybe. Extremely slow broadband? Definitely.

Go to solution

Hi.. I've had a fraught afternoon trying to get the phone / internet to work properly and am now pretty much at a loss as to what's going on. I apologise in advance for the long post, but I've exhausted a lot of possibilities!

For quite a long time (the last few months at least), the phone line has been very noisy, lots of crackling, lots of static, though manageable - there's been continuous work going on at the local exchange just over the road (we're close, despite being rural) and I just assumed that was the cause and would eventually correct itself as work was completed. It didn't.

In the last week I'd noticed that incoming calls would often, though not always, knock the broadband connection out. The rest of the time otherwise, the broadband has been pretty solid (except for the odd outage while work was being done), generally running around the 8mb projected speed.. but the dropouts on calls and bad line was enough to make me want to get it fixed.

The extension wiring here is pretty ropey so the first thing I did was go from the master socket via a filter with our HH4 plugged in - this made no difference at all. I then tried the phone (tried both our cordless BT 8500 and a cheap corded handset) directly through the test socket under the faceplate of the master socket and it was marginally better: there were crackles but the hiss had mostly subsided. I then tried the phone via the filter with the HH4 plugged in in the test socket and the hiss returned.

I ran through the 17070 silent line test and got the same result - direct through the test socket was ok (not perfect), with the HH4 plugged in it was awful. Seeing as about 70% of the noise appeared to be coming from the HH4 I swapped cabling and filter and eventually the router itself, none of which made the slightest bit of difference.

This is where things get interesting - in defeat I decided to put everything back and just raise a line fault on 151; I'd read a HR fault could cause modem noise on the line even when the filter is working fine so this seemed the most likely. However upon reconnection the internet could barely muster 16kb/s down (yes, as in barely a quarter the speed of dialup). I again swapped filters, cabling and router and went back to the test socket with everything else unplugged and still no change.

I spent a good few hours trying every test / check / tweak I could think of to no avail - using my third party DrayTek router has improved speed a fraction, but the internet is firmly capped at about 25kb down and 5kb up now (barely functional). I've tried all the available line test services and nothing is being reported - green across the board.

Curiously, the sync speed is decent - it's ranged from about 3mb to just over 7mb (it's usually a solid 8mb), so the IP profile has gone completely askew - as shown by the wholesale speed test diagnostic results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.13 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3.78 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

For some reason it wouldn't even report up speed - I tried to run it again and it just got stuck on uploading the results to the server. My DrayTek router currently reports an SNR Margin of around 25 to 30, though bombs down to around 5 every now and then for short periods. It also reports Loop Att. of 5 if that's of any use. For a while it was logging a bunch of errors on both up and down, but that seems to have stopped.

Even more curiously I then went to test the phone line again, the phone went dead for a second then magically came back on, clean as a whistle - no hiss or crackling - and has stayed like that since. That seemed like progress, but the broadband connection is still infuriatingly stuck at snail pace. The SNR Margin hasn't changed at all (averaging around 28) despite the audio on the phone improving considerably.

I'm now really not sure what to do - there's no point calling India, I'll just spend the next three days trying to explain all of the above. Calling in a line fault on 151 now doesn't seem like the best option as, at least right now, the phone is working perfectly (the first time in ages) - there's little value in arranging for a line engineer just to come and tell me my line is now fine.

Would an SNR reset knock a bit of sense into my IP profile or is that just wishful thinking? Any sensible suggestions? 

I've checked the cable out of the master socket and it leads straight out, up the side of the house to the pole - it looks fine from what I can see. I guess it's plausible that both of the filters I have kicked the dust at the same time - I'll borrow one from a neighbour in the morning and try that but I'm highly doubtful.

I work from home as a web developer so getting this fixed is *crucial*. If a mod is around and willing to lend a hand it would be hugely appreciated. I'm willing to pay for callouts if needed - not having working internet will cost me a stack in lost work in comparison!

Thanks

Tom

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: High resistance fault? Maybe. Extremely slow broadband? Definitely.

Go to solution

all the drps/resets of your connection have at one point reconnected with a very low conenction speed hence the rock bottom profile.  this will correct itself to the correct value for you speed given a stable connection for 3/5 days.  a stable connection will also get the DLM to start to reduce your noise margin which in turn will increase your conenction speed.

can you post any stats from your router

connection time

connection speed

noise margin

attenuation

all error stats

If you work from home and the internet connection is 'crucial' then maybe you should consider a business connection with a better SLA rather a normal residential line which can take 3+ days to get a fault fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
betterthanclay
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me imjolly.

I've not been here that long so a business line hadn't really been on my radar - I'm not sure if I'm going to be staying all that long either, but if I do it will be something to look into, thanks.

I checked the line this morning and it's back to the usual hissing and crackling so I'm fairly certain there's a fault on the line, if intermittent. I'll try and make a recording of it on the quiet line test.

Regarding stats, I still have my other router plugged in right now as it appeared more stable. Here's what it offers up:

EnableLineNameModeUp Time 
  YesADSLbroadbandPPPoA9:27:08 
  IPGW IPTX PacketsTX Rate(Bps)RX PacketsRX Rate(Bps)
  xxxxxx8462866018813615841
ATM StatisticsTX CellsRX CellsTX CRC errsRX CRC errs

ADSL StatusModeStateUp SpeedDown SpeedSNR MarginLoop Att.
  G.DMTSHOWTIME4480003584000287

The up speed connection has been consistently 448 throughout, the down has varied over a few resets as per my previous post. The SNR margin fluctuates a little but sits around 28. The error stats have been fine on this connection, though had picked up a whole bunch on the previous connection.

If needs be I can stick the HH4 back on and read the stats from that (as it clearly presents things slightly differently), though I'd rather not if that affects the amount of time I'd have to wait before the IP profile resets. With that in mind, will it gradually increase over the next few days or all in one go after a while? It's pretty painful to use right now.

Thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

if you have lihne noise in test socket with new filter then you need to report a phone fault to 151.  if noise intermittent then that will be more difficult for engineer to find and fix

you are on adslmax so up speed is fixed at 448kbps whereas your downspeed can be as high a 8mb.

your profile will correct itself in one go based on your current connection speed.  see here 

check profile

however your real problem is the noise which is causing the drops in connection resulting in the high noise margin and low speed.  if you cannot get noise fixed then there is no point in getting help from mods to reset your noise margin.

so you need phone engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
betterthanclay
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

We called 151 and reported the fault, they tried the standard line test which didn't show anything (same as yesterday), then said they would ask an engineer to look while at the exchange. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens 🙂

Thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

please update if tou hear anything but I still think you need engineer visit to fix the HR fault

0 Ratings
betterthanclay
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

So, haven't heard anything directly, but the line has improved a fair bit. There are still intermittent crackles but not like it was before, and has been good all day. I think they must have found something at the exchange or we're just being lucky.

Either way, the broadband IP profile has returned to normal thankfully so right now I think it's about as good as it's going to get. Thanks for the assistance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
if the problem re appears then report the fault on 151 and firmly request an engineer visit
0 Ratings