Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Home Hub 3 network slows to a crawl and hub unreachable until restart

Hiya,

I've been a BT customer for years, never really had any problems. Recently though we've been having issues where the internet connection starts stuttering, slows and then drops completely, the only cure I've found so far is to reboot the router. This can happen every 15 minutes or so.

When everything is running slowly devices report no internet connection, but the weird thing is the hub becomes unreachable by IP, implying it's the network that's slow rather than the internet connection.

The lights are all on and blue on the front of the hub (a home hub 3), even when there's no internet access. Again implies network rather than internet?

Initially I thought it was caused by our new neighbour moving in, terraced house so their BT hub is about 4 feet from ours, I just assumed they were on the same channel as me and we were getting interference. I used istumbler to find a free channel no one was using in range (7) and tried that, but no difference. I've tried leaving it on auto channel select too to see if it figures it out but no go there either.

Our tv is wired to the hub, the rest of our devices are wireless. Having read mixed reports of the home hub 3's wireless capabilities I have tried a spare netgear router, but struggled to get it to connect to the internet (but the wireless network was rock solid, so that was nice).

I presume you fine folks have a list of things I can try to hopefully resolve this? I started to think it might be the hub itself which is borked so was considering buying a replacement, but £50 for the new smart hub seems very steep just on the off chance.

Appreciate any suggestions people can offer,

Ta,

Si

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home Hub 3 network slows to a crawl and hub unreachable until restart

Hi,

I have tried 3 hubs over the years. a 1 , 3 and a 5. They have all been disappointing regards stability of the internet connection and poor wireless performance.

Regards the Hub 6, do some research here on the forum. Some people seem to have been lucky but a lot are reporting serious problems.

Buy a proper modem/router if you can't get the Netgear working. Billion, Netgear, Fritzbox etc are very good. Avoid Asus, seems the modem part can be a little iffy.

ADSL settings for third-party modem/router just in case you need them:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

bt

MTU 1500

VPI =0

VCI =38

PPPOA

VC based Mux

0 Ratings
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Fair enough I won't get too stressed about not having the latest home hub then!

I've just tried an old dlink router I had lying around and managed to get it to connect (think the netgear just doesn't work), so I'll give it a few days and see how it goes.

Many thanks for your help!

Si

0 Ratings
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I've given the other router a few days now and it's revealed the issue is actually the ADSL connection after all.

For some reason the home hub was unresponsive when the internet dropped, as I said above. The dlink remains responsive and the built in maintenance tools tell me it's unable to ping the isp default gateway.

Internet slows and drops out about every 15mins at the moment, rebooting the router works temporarily, but I'd like a proper solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been through the BT report/diagnose a problem thing many times but it tells me everything is fine! I beg to differ...

Thanks,
Si
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

if using the hub 6 locate the information page in the hubs advanced settings and post the results back

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi John, thanks for the response. Answers to your questions:

I've tried the quiet line test, there was no noise at all.

I'm using a Home Hub 3, so I can't get those logs unless I should be looking somewhere else?

The dsl checker results:

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 18.56.58.png

The speedtest results:

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 19.02.22.png

Hopefully that gives enough information to start the process.

Many thanks,

Si

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Router Stats
The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

When using a Hub 3, you will see an option at the bottom right hand corner to select 'full details'. click on this, copy the info displayed and post the results. If using a BT Home Hub 4 or 5 navigate to 'Troubleshooting' then to 'Logs'. You will then find two lines which will state 'DSL noise margin' and 'DSL line rate', copy this info and include this in your post.

There is a video on our BTCare YouTube channel that will show this process in action, please see, Finding your connection stats on the BT Home Hub 3, 4 and 5.
0 Ratings
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

As requested:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+058720+1241014245
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.52 (Type A) Last updated 12/08/16
4. Board version:BT Home Hub 3.0A
5. ADSL uptime:0 days, 00:27:35
6. Bandwidth:448 / 5152
7. Data sent/received:0.0 / 0.0
8. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT FON:Yes
10. Wireless network/SSID:GTAZZ
11. Wireless connections:Enabled, (802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)) 20 MHz, WPS disabled
12. Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
13. Wireless channel:12
14. Firewall:Default
15. MAC Address:3c:81:d8:80:8e:d8
16. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
17. Line profile:Fast
18. Software variant:-
19. Boot loader:-

Does that give the required information?

Thanks,

Si

0 Ratings
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

So I'm still suffering with this issue, the internet had dropped out a couple of times in the last hour already tonight. Event log has lots of

"OUT: BLOCK [65] First packet is Invalid (Packet not in tcp window: TCP "

type messages, not sure if that means anything.

Would appreciate some help please.

Thanks,

Si

0 Ratings