cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DTC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Home-Hub 3 to Home-Hub 5 - HH5 just keeps re-starting...

Hello,

I have BT ADSL broadband and have been using a Home-Hub 3 successfully for several years.  My daughter recently switched from BT to PlusNet and gave me her old Home-Hub 5 (Type A).  It worked fine for her - although she was lucky enough to have fibre rather than standard ADSL.

Since I thought that the wireless performance of the HH5 might be better - plus the fact that all the Ethernet ports are Gigabit ports - I gave the HH5 a try in place of the HH3.

Unfortunately, although the HH5 does connect initially, it simply keeps re-starting/re-booting every few minutes - and obviously drops the internet connection each time.

When I put the HH3 back in place, everything is ok again.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?  Does the line need time to 'settle down' with the new router connected (I don't see why it should)?  Is there anything else I should do/try?

Many thanks for any help.

Dave.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home-Hub 3 to Home-Hub 5 - HH5 just keeps re-starting...

did you do a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash?  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DTC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.  No I didn't do that - would you recommend it?  Why would that be likely to make a difference? (I'm not disputing that it might - just interested in the reason!!).

Thanks,

Dave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

it takes hu back to facory setting so starting from scratch - no lingering chnages made previously so clean slate-  also switch from vdsl to adsl

if you reset  then first thing is to turn off smart setup and then I would split the wireless networks and add a 5 to the 5ghz SSID to identify it  you can then connect to either the 2.4 or 5ghz or both

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DTC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Does it need to be all connected up to do the factory reset (I know it will need power !! - but does it need to be connected to the phone line etc.)

Thanks,

Dave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

you can just connect hub to power then do factory reset  you can also split the networks at same time without connecting to the internet  once you have made the changes then you can switch power off then connect internet cable and then power back up

DTC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions - I will give it a whirl once I've done some more research on splitting the wireless networks and turning off Smart Setup so I know what I'm doing...!!!

Thanks,

Dave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Post back if still problem

0 Ratings
DTC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Hello again,

So far, seems to be so good!  After following your advice the HH5 connected successfully and has now been running for over an hour with no problems (ok, I know an hour isn't long - but that beats re-starting every few minutes...!!

Out of interest I ran some speed tests and am a bit confused with the results.  Maybe you could comment on the information I've posted below?

If I run the BTWholesale speed test I get a download speed of just over 6 Mbps - whereas any of the other tests I run (e.g. Uswitch, etc, etc.) show a speed of 12.3 Mbps.  Also the connection information from the HH5 gives 14.74 Mbps.  I know that the line profile and the actual download speeds are different (although I don't really understand the difference!!) - but what I'm seeing at the moment from the different sources seems to be very different...?

BTWStats.png

DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:08:17
Downstream:14.74 Mbps
Upstream:1.112 Mbps

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ42857752
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 09/07/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 01:02:41
6. Data rate:1112 / 14735
7. Maximum data rate:1112 / 14876
8. Noise margin:6.8 / 3.3
9. Line attenuation:14.3 / 32.2
10. Signal attenuation:14.6 / 31.3
11. Data sent/received:24.0 MB / 340.2 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-RSMQ
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-RSMQ-5GHz
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:c8:91:f9:2f:91:ee
24. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
25. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
26. Latency type:Interleaved
27. Software variant:AA
28. Boot loader:1.0.0

Thanks again for your help,

Dave.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Different browsers give different results - it's a problem with the BT test using flash. I use Chrome as that gives the expected result Firefox shows a 40% reduction in speed.

0 Ratings