cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pal62v
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Home Hub connection speed v the real thing

We have a major slowdown issue being investigated by Openreach, however I have a question about a related issue.

Running a HH4. According to the connection tab on the HH's internal webpage, it's seeing a signal strength of around 16Mps.  We are, on the other hand getting only 1Mps when the problem is apparent. (Sometimes the issue goes away but that's not what I am focussing on here).

Why is the HH able to 'see' such a strong signal, yet the output on both wifi and via ethernet are so slow.

The Openreach engineer today was confused too.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Home Hub connection speed v the real thing

run btspeedtester and post results of second test not first test  must be done with ethernet conenction   http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

do you find download speed worse at peak times as against off peak?  can you run test at both times please and post results

can you post connection stats  will need to go to logs and look for 2 entries when hub last reset showing connection speed and noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pal62v
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I can't run a test with ethernet as I am running a Mac Air. The Openreach engineer did it and the ethernet speeds were more or less identical to the wifi speeds.

I'm not actually looking for answers to why my connection is slow at times. Openreach have confirmed that it is almost certainly electric rein that causing it and they are sending someone out to find where it's coming from. My query is probably more of just wanting to work out why, if my connection speed is so slow, the HH's internals tell me that it is 'seeing' 16Mbps on the line. I would have thought it would have 'seen' a speed not much greater than it is chucking out.

I don't think the hub is at fault BTW, we have seen via Openreach that there is a pattern to when things get slow and it's looking like a central heating timer or somesuch, and the times don't match anything that we do here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Running btspeedtester diagnostic test will give your download speed to see how that compares with your connection speed. Running at peak and again at off peak will show if you have an exchange congestion problem. Unfortunately BT only accept btspeedtester results run by Ethernet as wifi is subject to inteference

if it was thermostat coming on then it would cause disconnection not slow download speed. Are you having problems with your internet connection dropping

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pal62v
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Sorry, I don't think I'm explaining myself properly.

BT and Openreach have both confirmed there is a fault in the incoming signal, most likely electric rein which can cause a slowdown but not a dropout. This is caused by interference to the copper signal by an errant piece of electronics. Could be Central Heating, a TV, a radio, a computer - anything that involves electricity. This is straight from the Openreach engineers. Copper relies on a frequency of 612kHz and if something is fighting that then you can get issues. Even from neighbours.

I don't need to take new readings. The ones I have done using speedtest.net were matched by today's engineer who confirmed that what we had recorded matched their records of our signal. He also was present when the internet slowed down and he said (and backed up by his office) that it shows all the signs of electric rein. That's their next action - to detect where it's coming from.

The reason for my posting is that when you go into the HH's webpage, under Advanced you can monitor the Connection tab. Under that tab, I may be seeing a real speed of around 1Mbps, but the internal diagnostic of the hub says say, 16Mbps.  That's what I want to understand - why is this the case? How does the Hub see 16 when it throws out 1?

0 Ratings
pal62v
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I should add that the engineer agreed that using speedtest.net was quicker and more efficient than BT's speedtester - which takes ages to get onto and is not nearly as user friendly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Btspeedtester is the test acceptable to demonstrate problems with download speed as that is recorded on wholesale system whereas speedtest.net does not.  Also they only accept test done on ethernet

thanks for the rein explanation but I already knew that

it would help if you posted the hub stats to show what you consider to be the problem

0 Ratings
pal62v
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Here's a screengrab of what I am talking about. HH shows a d/s connection of nearly 17Mbps. Now as I type this, my connection has gone back to being good at around 13Mbps. However the HH always seems to show this as around 16, whether that's what I am getting or not.HH.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

So stats show almost 17mb connection speed but it reset just over 4hrs ago. Was reset manual or hub dropping connection?

where are you seeing the 13mb you are talking about?

0 Ratings
pal62v
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

The HH was disconnected while the engineer went about his checks.
Seeing the 13Mbps on speedtest.net and on any other speedchecker I use, including BT's own.
When the engineer was here, his own equipment closely matched what we were seeing on speedtest.net.
0 Ratings