cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theeafterlife2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Home hub no power at all

Hi everyone newbie here, since the storm we had on tuesday in devon area i have no power to my hub, i checked my trip board all ok there, plugged it into another power socket no joy.
I tried calling bt that evening on 3 attempts each one lasting 20-30 mins and then the automated messages stop,
I tried again on wednesday and the auto message was we are very busy due to the lightning strikes.
I then managed to do a online fault form too which the fault says bt retail servers. No idea what this is?
Also when i check my home phone number to see if there is area fault it says my phone number isnt a bt number?
Also they are charging me to try calling them about a problem with there service? Tryed to call billing dept last night still no one answers.

Help??
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Home hub no power at all

Do you have dial tone on your phone? If not, can you please unplug your home hub and see if the dial tone comes back.

Which BT Home hub do you have?

Ignore the Retail Servers message, it just means the your home hub is not seen by the network because its faulty.

0 Ratings
theeafterlife2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

My phone line works fine, i believe its a home hub 4.
Also we have a DAX on our line if thats any use?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

DACS does not support broadband, so its probably been bypassed.

I would suspect the HH4 has been damaged by the storm. If its out of warranty it may be quicker and cheaper to just buy your own router locally, or look for a secondhand HH4.

You could wait for broadband support to answer and deal, but that could take some time with the current fault level.

0 Ratings
theeafterlife2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

We are on a adsl connection, we only get 5mb max, live out in the sticks. Ok will have a look around for a 2nd hand hub
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@theeafterlife2016 wrote:
We are on a adsl connection, we only get 5mb max, live out in the sticks. Ok will have a look around for a 2nd hand hub

There are plenty of ADSL modem/routers available online, which perform better than the HH4.

Like the

TP-LINK TD-W8960N 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections

Available on Amazon for £18.95. Other stockist may also have it.

Setup info

General set-up guide for ADSL

Using the quick set-up everything else as default.

VPI [0-255]: 0
VCI [32-65535]: 38
WAN Link Type: PPPoA
Encapsulation Mode: LLC/SNAP-Bridging
PPP Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
PPP Password: bt
PPPoA service name: blank
MTU Size: leave unticked
DNS Settings: Ticked automatic

0 Ratings
Pete56
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

With no lights at all on the hub it is probably the plug top power supply, I had the same problem with a HH3, there's a label on the plug in power supply that tells you the voltage and current, which is 12V 1500 mA, you need to buy a 12V Switch Mode plug top power supply with 1.5 A or more output, available from a lot of Electronics component shops, cheaper than a new hub anyway.

0 Ratings
theeafterlife2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Well hh4 are about £2 plus postage online, so going to try that first i think.
Wish i could leave bt tbh but there the only supllier in around our area
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

If all you have is a copper line provided by Openreach, then all the Service Providers would be using that anyway. You are not going to get a better connection.

BT broadband is well supported via this forum, so its worth posting any issues here, as they usually get addressed.

0 Ratings
theeafterlife2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I must admit the advice i have received within a few hours from you lot has been well appreciated
0 Ratings