Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rkemp
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Homehub crashes whenever any device tries to connect

Hello,

Basically aside from a suite of other problems with my internet since I got a BT package, whenever a device tries to connect to my hub it stops working completely. The front light goes from blue to orange flashing almost simultaneously as an IPhone or the youview box attempts connection for example. Resets, turning off and on just result in the same outcome.

I have changed the channels multiple times, I have split the 5 and 2.4 frequencies, I have taken the front off the telephone port and plugged into the master port, I've been sent a new hub by BT but nothing is solving this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me resolve this issue as currently I'm paying for nothing.

As most posts on these forums attest their customer service is abysmal so I'm turning to the forums for hopefully some solutions.

Thanks
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Homehub crashes whenever any device tries to connect

Hi @Rkemp and welcome.

Which hub do you have? Does this problem occue if you connect via cable?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Rkemp
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

HH4 Orange flashing light - tried everything, please help!

Hello everyone,

I recently moved into a property and got BT installed. There's been countless problems the whole three months, some of which I've managed to solve through these forums - not through BT customer service. But the latest is a real problem and I cant seem to find any answers, or get them from BT customer service obviously.

To begin with the internet connection dropped out of devices, some after connecting for all of 5seconds etc. To remedy this I was told to change the wireless frequencies which I did, this made no difference. I then split the sycning of the 2.4 and 5ghz channels which to some extent has stopped the connection drop. This was annoying, it'd cut out through watching a film or whatever, but was bearable just about.

A more pressing issue now is the Hub shutting down when any device tries to connect. For example, if all devices are turned off in the property, the Hub will show a blue light. As soon as any device attempts to connect the Hub's light flashes orange. This continues for hours until finally one or two devices are able to connect to very slow connection. We primarily use Apple products (hence why I have split the 2.4 and 5ghz), but the same thing happens when we try and connect the BT youview box.

As I mentioned BT have been little to no help, they've sent a new hub but exactly the same issues arise. They sent an engineer without telling me while I wasn't in, who said he "checked the box outside the property and it was all okay" - not sure what this means..

So in summary my efforts so far:

Changed Wifi channel

Split frequencies

Tried new Hub

Tried new ADSL filter

Removed faceplate and plugged into master 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

I've read somewhere just to purchase another ADSL router. Would this affect any of ther services I'm able to receive? BT Sport for eg? 

Thanks for any response, very grateful for any insight.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Rkemp
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Thanks for the reply.

Home Hub 4.

If you mean via Ethernet, occasionally yes but not as frequently. I've been told many times there are no issues with the line, and obviously I don't intend to have to connect my devices by ethernet cables. Last night after another couple of hours on the phone to BT they tried testing the phoneline but results were "inconclusive", when i asked what that meant I wasnt given anything resembling an answer. Do you know what they might've meant by that?

I'm no expert but it's pretty apparent something isn't right with the line, unless I've been sent two faulty homehubs. Or perhaps the homehubs don't like the line? I don't know. I've read somewhere just to purchase another ADSL router and bin the HH4s because they're uselss. Would this affect any of ther services I'm able to receive? BT Sport for eg? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Re: HH4 Orange flashing light - tried everything, please help!

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Have you changed lease time from default 1 day to 21 days?

are you using powerline adapters/wifi extenders?

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

you have posted the same problem on infinity and adsl boards - what conenction do you have as posting on both boards is just confusing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

I've merged both these threads.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

I have moved you back to adsl

0 Ratings
Rkemp
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

I'm on ADSL. I've opened a new thread on the ADSL boards. Please close this thread. Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

This is the ADSL broadband board @Rkemp Smiley Wink

Cheers

David

0 Ratings