cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Melly90
Message 1 of 14

How do I complain about my broadband service?

Hi there

I'm not sure if this is the right area to be posting; but I hope that someone will be able to help me, as the BT automated system gives you no option to complain, and when you ask to be put through to the complaints department, you get put through the Customer Options team who then transfer you to the technical advice line based in India.

I have had BT broadband since January, and to be honest I now wish I had never set it up.  I needed to get a telephone line set up and wait 8 weeks for an Openreach engineer to come out.  Fair enough, I waited.  Finally my appointment date came and the engineer who came out insisted that he needed permission from my landlord and refused to do the job, despite me saying that yes, he does have permission, and even offering to call him infront of him.  I asked for the engineer to come back out after he walked off, fobbing me off, but they wouldn't send another one out.  Fair enough, I waited another week and another engineer came out.

Luckily, this man was very helpful, said that the first engineer who visited told me a pack of lies and by the sounds of it, couldn't be bothered to do the job as it involved running a cable from the floor above mine, where the box is.

He fitted the line and everything was fine, I was told that it would be 'testing' and I could have some speed & connection issues, but this would subside after a week.

It is now April, going onto May, and I am having the same problems.  My broadband constantly disconnects, especially during the evening.  The speed isn't too much of an issue but I have had 2 engineers out in the past.  The problem seemed to be fixed for a while after they visited but now my connection is worse than ever and I am pulling my hair out. 

I have been calling the technical help line every night, spending around an hour or 2 on the phone, going through the same **bleep** "plug into the test socket, use an ethernet cable, blahbalhblah" and no one seems to take me seriously when I say there is clearly a PROBLEM WITH THE LINE.  I have been passed from level 1, to level 2, on numerous occassions.  I have spoken to managers, I have had messages passed on for someone in the UK technical team to call me back because India can't resolve it because they don't understand what on earth I'm talking about.  

I was promised a call back today between 12 and 2, this hasn't happened.  I was promised an engineer would come out on Wednesday.  I cancelled my plans, took the day off work and waited in all day. Did an engineer turn up? No of course he didn't.  When I called up I was told by India that this was because my contract is due to end on 21 May.

I simply cannot understand why BT staff do not realise that I do not want the hassle to have to change providers because somebody cannot get their act together, listen to me and just come out and do the job.  I have said repeatedly I do not want to cancel my contract, I am just completely peeved that I am paying £30~ a month for a service I am continually having problems with, and can hardly even use. 

I have had advisors hang up on me for no reason, I've been fobbed out, promised engineer visits, promised call backs and no one has followed through on this, despite reassurances that "I will certainly fix this for you Miss Edmonds".

Please, before I actually go insane here, can someone PLEASE just look into the above, tell me why I've received such rubbish service, get my broadband fixed and possibly even give me a refund because of the ABYSMAL service I have received?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: How do I complain about my broadband service?

this is a community forum where customers help customers and the only BT employees are the forum mods

your post will not go direct to BT

If you eant help from the forum members and possibly the mods then you need to post your adslstats from your router and run btspeedtester and post the results.

have you tried the quiet line test for noise   dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

sorry but the same question you have had fromthe helpdesk - are you connected to the test socket or master?  do you have other sockets apart from the master?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

also post your full hub stats details shown in this link http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/others/adslstats.html

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

@Melly90  Please do post the info that imj and John have requested as it's the best way to resolve your problem.

I'm only interjecting here as your experience precisely illustrates my twin gripes about BT's customer service. They need to scrap the overseas call centre and replace it with a UK-based unit manned by people who understand both the business and the English language. And they need to ensure that Openreach collectively and its engineers individually are properly accountable.

Alas BT are not alone, and the only real competition in an essential industry is the drive for profit.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

PP this is an old post from April not sure how it got here ????
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@john46 wrote:

Perhaps its this thread that PP meant to reply to, it was in the lounge, but the mods do not want service affecting faults there.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Re-How-do-I-complain-about-my-broadband-servic...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Hi Keith just spotted the other thread may be they should be merged what do you think?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

John,

They are two different OPs, so its probably left as it is. It must have been split away by someone, as I found it in the lounge, all on its own?

At least it gives this person an opportunity to ask for help, if they wish,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Ok that does make a lot of sense hope fully both posters will now reply
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

@john46 wrote:

Thanks John, I didn't notice that. But I have noticed a few oddities on the forum lately, including other old posts inexplicably resurrected. Maybe some work going on in the shadows.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings