cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rybalko
Message 1 of 8

How long do I have to wait to get a reasonable internet service from BT?

How long do I have to wait to get a reasonable internet service from BT?

I've read about this and it says anything from 10 days to a month ... and my router got turned off overnight after more than ten days online because an RCD circuit flipped. Does this mean that I'm back to year zero!?

I have an intermittant problem with corrosion in the NTE5 box in my house. It's solved by changing the box every 18 months or so. I've now moved the box so that hopefully the corrosion will be mitigated.

The first time this happened I called out a BT engineer as my telephone wasn't working properly. I got charged £120 for the privilege of watching him cleaning a wire ... I didn't make that mistake again.

With this last incidence of corrosion, BT "reset" my ADSL download to 283kbps, but seem to have left my upload speed at 1153kbps.

Through all the other incidents with corrosion I was using Zen Internet. Exactly the same wires, , same local loop, same exchange, I would guess the same DSLAM in the exhange, yet my connexion was *never* reprofiled and cut, and certainly not to such a ridiculous level.

Never ever. Not once. Not even when I had a faulty router that kept on dropping the DSL line every few minutes.

The only difference is BT internet and a BT router.

Some stats.

--------------

Data Rate: 1153 / 283

Maximum Data Rate: 1168 / 12592

Noise Margin: 6.2 / 22.6

Line Attenuation: 16.5 / 27.5

Signal Attenuation: 16.7 / 32.5

Yes, I have also done a quiet line test, and there is not a single noise on the line.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: How long do I have to wait to get a reasonable internet service from BT?

It can take a while.

See Why has my speed dropped

0 Ratings
rybalko
Message 3 of 8

And the reason that it *never* happened with Zen over the same wires, local loop, exchange etc?

BT seem very quick to degrade a connexion to the near the point of uselessness, but begrudingly slow to give it back. Should I regret taking out  a BT contract?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@rybalko I'm really sorry to see you're having problems with your broadband connection, if it's still unstable the banding on the profile is unlikely to lift on it's own. How long does the connection up time on your Hub router stats say? 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
rybalko
Message 5 of 8

Right now, it says just over a day, since, as I mentioned, an RCD unit tripped overnight because of a blown lightbulb.

Before that, it was something over 11 days. That is, since I changed the corroded box.

The quiet line test is perfect. The DSL connexion isn't being dropped, as far as I know the noise margin is absolutely fine at 6.2 (dB?).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Your downstream noise margin is high, as you are in a banded speed profile.

0 Ratings
rybalko
Message 7 of 8

Just checked the router again when I got back in tonight, and it now says:

Connection time: 0 days,13:00:25

Looked at the event log:

06:48:20, 24 Aug. System start Button press (PowerButton)
06:48:03, 24 Aug. System up

So, now the router is rebooting itself. No, it wasn't me (alarm went off at 7am), and it wasn't the electricity (computer on suspend to RAM is on the same household loop).

I had a further look at the logs and it is a regular occurance. Why would the router be rebooting itself? And when will I start getting anything near broadband rather than BT "banding" me on 283kbps?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

That looks like a faulty home hub, perhaps the power unit?

0 Ratings