cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChrisThePessimist
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

How to get BT to deal with long-running intermittent fault?

I've had intermittent broadband drop-outs for months now; I ring and report, a sympathetic call centre person arranges an engineer, if I'm lucky the engineer comes (nice blokes, conscientious but never with any info on background), finds a fault, fixes it and goes away.  Next day, it starts all over again- drop-outs, report etc etc.  If I get unlucky, after an engineer's visit has been arranged, BT 'monitor' the line, cancel the engineer and I get a text message telling me my line is OK.  Thus all BT's records show is a series of faults reported, fixed and closed.  My records show months of frustration, headache and only just being able to deal with business enquiries (not to mention my Sky Sports sub being a total write-off!). There is usually some minor fault to find, as my connection to the cabinet is via a much-patched, insufficiently buried, un-armoured length of copper- but clearly minor faults are making the line vulnerable to some persistent fault elsewhere, and it seems not to be anyone's job to keep records that would show that.

I have no complaints at all about the individuals whom I encounter- they are all capable, conscientious people doing their jobs as best they can.  However they are stuck inside a rubbish system which seems designed to frighten people off actually reporting faults (each time I ring I have to listen to the £129.99 threat), and to maximise the number of faults that are closed as 'successful'.   Today an engineer's appointment booked for tomorrow has been cancelled, and I only know this from a garbled recorded message.  There was no explanation other than 'your line is working better today' (or at least I think that's what the recorded message said). So, I have to ring again, get a new appointment, and apart from the increased BP and headache, have two more days delay before I get any closer to a permanent resolution.

Openreach do their best, but they also seem reluctant to let their engineers have all the information they need to do their jobs.  I have never yet had one who knew the history of the problem.

Please, people, what do I have to do to get BT and Openreach to talk to each other, talk to me, and admit there is an ongoing problem?

Chris

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: How to get BT to deal with long-running intermittent fault?

Deleted by poster, as forum cannot help with this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
ChrisThePessimist
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Sorry- what does this mean?  "Forum cannot help"-? I'm hoping that someone somewhere knows how to get through to a layer of BT that has the authority to keep a fault open until it really is fixed, and the will to solve difficult problems.  I can't face another round of "report- arrange engineer-find it's been cancelled".

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

you appears to be a business user and need to iuse business forum not residential  https://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ChrisThePessimist
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Part time business, with domestic service.  I was advised that there was no benefit in having a business contract, but if there were any option of a better service I'd certainly sign up for it!

0 Ratings
ChrisThePessimist
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

PS sorry, to make sense, that previous post should read 'Part-time business user, with residential contract'.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Hi @ChrisThePessimist thank you for confirming it is a residential service that you have and sorry you have been unable to get the fault with your service resolved.

Intermittent faults can prove troublesome to resolve, however we will be happy to help you as much as we can with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 8 of 23

@ChrisThePessimist Thanks for sending in your details, I am really sorry you've had so many problems getting this issue investigated.

I see that an engineer visit was already booked for this morning, so I'll check back this afternoon to review their report and I'll contact you directly then.

Community ManagerStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thanks
0 Ratings
ChrisThePessimist
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Ha!  Well, today's (Tuesday 16th) booked engineer went the way of the one booked for yesterday- that is, neither showed up and both turned up to have been cancelled by BT.  When I rang yesterday afternoon to have a rant about yesterday's no-show I was eventually told about BT economy squads (sorry, I don't remember the official euphemism) whose job it is to try the line once and to cancel the appointment if it seems OK.  Naturally, if you do this for an intermittent fault, you've got a very good chance of finding it apparenlty OK.  The first time this happened (for an appointment last Friday), I did at least get a phone message to tell me about the cancellation- but as I didn't find it until the evening it did little to reduce the impact of having had to schedule for a half day spent within earshot of the front door.  For the missed Monday appointment I received a text message today (Tuesday), dated Sunday.  For today's missed appointment, I have received nothing.  Am I ranting?  Well, wouldn't you?  Another is booked for tomorrow afternoon.  Trying hard to stay calm; lots of yoga, lots of deep breathing.  I might have to try vodka.

0 Ratings
ChrisThePessimist
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

BTW I am definitely NOT an Aspiring Contributor.  I aspire only to have my problem fixed and to melt back into the shadows; alternatively, to find a new provider who isn't such total rubbish at handling repairs.  Fixed Wireless is looking attractive; their masts are getting nearer.....