cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marc82
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Hub 4 causes interference to landline.

For about 4 weeks now i've been having a intermitent problem with my broadband or phone. Whenever someone calls or if i call out, my broadband turns off and you get a flashing orange light. Also ive noticed that the call quality is low with static/buzzes/crackling noises, but when i turn the hub off at the switch the noises vanish. I've tried the master test socket and there in no noise on the line. As i said this is a intermitent problem, so when i phone bt they say that everything is fine with the line test. I baught a new faceplat/filter for my socket, replaced the rj11 cable, but the problem still exists. can it be a faulty hub?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Hub 4 causes interference to landline.

how close is the hh4 power supply to the phone connection?  is power supply hot or can you hear any noise from hub power supply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
marc82
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

the power supply is about 3 meteres from the phone socket, and its not even warm.

0 Ratings
marc82
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

I just checked the "bt wholesale speed tester" it says that my line has a ping latency of 30000 is that normal.

0 Ratings
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Hi,

it it might possibly be a HR (high resistance ) fault on the line. We had a similar problem a few years ago where we could hear the broadband signal when making telephone calls and the if we received or made a call the hub connection would drop out to the orange light and then reconnect. It was intermittent and would only appear during wet or misty weather. It was finally proved to a corroded connection where the drop wire was terminated at the pole. 

The problem we had was reporting it whilst the fault condition existed as once the weather improved and it was dry the fault would disappear.

0 Ratings
marc82
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

how do you report a high resistance fault, the bt operator just does a line test and says everything is ok?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Phone 151 and report a phone fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Have you eliminated any in house wiring that might cause the fault by connecting to the test socket of the master socket. I think the distinguished sages could explain how to do this before reporting a fault.
0 Ratings
marc82
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

The test socket is the only one i have and the rj11 cable connects directly to the face plate. I have replaced the faceplate and cable, and even tried a corded phone. As i said before the problem is intermittent and random. The noise on the line only occurs when the hub is on, the moment i turn it off the noise disappears  also if i listen carefully i can hear the broadband signals with the noisy line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

What does your master phone socket look like?

Master socket with one socket

Or

Master socket with two sockets

0 Ratings