cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndySG
Message 1 of 14

Hub only works when connected to master socket

Go to solution
I have just had the BT engineer round to set up the house (new build) so that it is internet ready. We connected the hub (4.0) to the master phone line socket right next to the front door and the Internet works, but we can't connect it to the Youview box as our TV is in another room. There are multiple phone lines in the house and one of them is right next to the TV, but the broadband icon on the hub flashes orange when the hub is connected to it and the Internet won't work.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Hub only works when connected to master socket

Go to solution
yes your master socket is the only socket that the broadband signal will come from as all other sockets are now filtered for phone use only this is normal on new installs as the mater is now a pre filtered socket
0 Ratings
AndySG
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks for the quick response. So in order for the Youview box to work will I need to get the broadband extenders?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
yes or run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the You view box
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
The additional phone sockets may not be wired into the main socket. Have you plugged a phone in to check if there is a dial tone?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

If master looks like this then Internet will only work in master socket.  So get powering adapters to get you view box to work

fibre SSFP.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Storm_Force
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Not quite true, you can get another socket to work but you will need to re-wire the socket you want to have broadband on. In my house behind the master socket there was a pair of orange cables not connected and these wires were present in the extension sockets.

So behind the master faceplate there is 2 push down terninals I connected the orange ones in to there. I purchased a dual faceplate with a normal socket and internet socket and replaced one of the extension sockets. Thus connecting the orange pair into this so it would carry the broadband signal.

I can get some pictures if you need them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@Storm_Force

It is true that when wired normally your broadband will only work in master socket assuming SSFP. However if you want to set up a data extension then you can connect to the 2 terminals shown by the yellow arrow and connect to an extension socket and broadband will work with filter 

test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BasilC
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Just come across this forum thread, so I hope the original contributors are still around!

We live in a street with fibre to the cabinet, but are still on ordinary broadband.  The problem is that our master socket doesn't have a power socket anywhere nearby and running an ethernet cable to another room would be a  bit problematical, especially for the appearance of the hallway, which has the original Edwardian tiled floor.

We don't have the new master socket, just an old socket with a single connection which probably goes back to the 1980s.  So am I to gather that if I rewire one of the other sockets that is near power that I can turn it into a sort of master socket and attach a Smart Hub?  If so, could someone explain in simple language how to do it?

Grateful for any advice.

Basil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Just leave everything as it is and plug the hub into the socket nearest to where you want it
0 Ratings