cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

I need BT Bridge Mode Hub - Which BT Business Smart Hub to get hold off ?

Go to solution

I currently have a BT Home Smart Hub 2 on my copper land line with my current BT broadband account. It works fine but the speed could be better (No Fibre here). We are in rural area and at the end of several miles of cable, however I do get more bandwidth than the 0MB/s BT promised when I opened the account !

Thus to get a reasonable internet connection I also have a 4g router which is used most of the time with the BT line as standby backup. Swapping over is a pain.

I now want to use my own router which has two Ethernet WAN ports (Ubiquiti Networks Unifi Security Gateway Router), the plan is to have one WAN port from the 4g Modem (or possible replacement with a  StarLink setup) and the other to the BT Broadband.

So from the research on this forum it seems that the BT Home Smart Hub 2 I have from BT can't be put into bridge mode which is required to turn one of the 4 LAN Ethernet ports into a WAN port.

One cheepish solution seems to be to buy a BT Business Smart Hub which I understand do support bridge mode, they are often seen on popular auctions sites for £25-£50, even for new and boxed versions.

But what model of BT Business Hub do I need to get hold of to do what I want ? I can't work out the chronology of the various BT Business models so I can be sure to be purchasing a more recent model with up to date firmware.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: I need BT Bridge Mode Hub - Which BT Business Smart Hub to get hold off ?

Go to solution

Probably better getting an old Huawei HG612 modem from Ebay.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Definitely, why buy a combined modem/router when you only want a modem.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Waiting on a HG612 to arrive from eBay to tryout.