Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
matthewcl375
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

IP Profile at 0.14 after engineer visit

Hi all,

Yesterday we started noticing noise (crackling) on our phone line, also the broadband going to our router kept dropping out. Today we had a BT phone engineer round who fitted a new phone line going from our house to the pole over the other side of the road. This fixed the noise problem and the broadband is now a constant signal!

However, the speed of the connection is now very slow. We used to get up to 800KBPS download speed, this has now dropped down to between 0 and 15 KBPS. When I run the BTW Speed Test I get the following:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.03 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4.96 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

Would be grateful for any help with this, is it best to just wait it out for a couple of days for the profile to rise again, or could it be related to our router/filter?

Thanks, Matt

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: IP Profile at 0.14 after engineer visit

just wait it out for 3/5 days with no disconnects and profile will return

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
matthewcl375
Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Forgot to mention here are the stats from the router, could this be related to the SN Margin and if so could it be reset?

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 5:22:21
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 4.960
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:41,43 / 231,47
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:11,9 / 13,8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:6,0 / 6,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:23,0 / 15,4

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 33

As imjolly has already posted just leave the hub alone for the next 3/5 days if your noise margin has not started to drop by then please post back with the latest stats and we can then help you further
0 Ratings
matthewcl375
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

It's been one day, noise margin hasn't changed, still at 15,3 for downstream and hasn't moved from there. Is this normal?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 33

perfectly normal it need 3/5 days before anything will happen just ensure you do not manually restart your hub
0 Ratings
matthewcl375
Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Thanks John.

Another thing I wanted to clear up: we don't actually use BT Broadband so we have a router instead of a Home Hub, but we do use BT for the phone line which the Tesco broadband runs over, I assume what you are saying still applies the same?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

the principle is the same

this forum is for customers of BT broadband who is our ISP - you should really be on the tesco forum for help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

you would have to check that out with your ISP we can only advise on BT Broadband as there set up regarding noise margins may be different to BT Retail

matthewcl375
Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Just out of interest, if I gave the router 3-5 days to sort things out and the Target SNR (noise margin) still hadn't been reduced, would the mods here be able to have a look at getting it reset for me? Even though my ISP is Tesco, we are still running it over BT Lines and systems.

Thanks, Matt

0 Ratings