cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

IP Profile of 0.14 !

We have been having problems with crackling on the line and slow broadband since 29 April. We reported both line and broadband problems via the usual BT call centres. After days of re explaining the problems and nothing happening and BT closing our fault calls finally today they agreed to send an engineer out to try and fix the problem.

We pay for 8Mb, should be able to get 6Mb (according the the BT engineer who came out 2 years ago) and regularly get around 2Mb. It is now very difficult to even read our emails now, we need the broadband to even get a mobile phone signal through Sure Signal.

We had a problem like this several years ago and the Openreach engineer came out and increased the "stuck" IP Profile from the socket on the wall in our house and everything was fine. I have ran BT Wholesale Broadband tester over and over and IP Profile is at 0.14

BT are in the process of rolling out Superfast Broadband in our village in Surrey so the problems are probably related to this roll out but they will not admit it. Our cabinet is still ADSL but one of the cabinet on the village exchange has been upgraded recently to FTTC. 

Every time I call a call centre I have to explain everything again and start with all the questions about the possibility of the problem being in our house. I have done all the tests and it is not in our building. BT keep closing out fault reports even though the fault has not been fixed.

Over the Bank Holiday weekend the broadband speed did increase but quickly dropped in Tuesday when the Openreach vans returned to the village. We know therefore the the problem is not with our hub or in

our house.

We have requested that an engineer coming out on Monday so hopefully he will be able to reset the IP profile. A delivery of so called "Broadband" at a Download rate of   0.14 is a joke.

Is there no way that the IP Profile rate can be reset as a software switch over the network by BT???????

It is now 9 days since we reported the problem and we will have waited 12 days by Monday.

On a scale of 1 to 10 on service BT dont really rate.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: IP Profile of 0.14 !

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

Your profile is unlikely to be stuck but due to a low connection speed probably during the problem where connection kept dropping. Your profile should automatically recover to the correct value for youe connnection speed provided you remain connected 24/7 fir 3/5 days

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The problem with my brodband is now fixed.

After 9 days of complaining and endless calls to India the engineer admitted today that there was a faulty card on our local exchange !!!!! 

Not at all impressed with BT's handling of our fault. We run a small business from home and could not even send an email at one point. Cuontless calls to India where I had to explain that problem over and over again. Fault calls closed when the fault was not fixed. Very frustrating.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If are using your residential line for business which is against BT T&C then you have to accept that residential line do not take priority and if you want a better service then you should have a business line for your business with a better service agreement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

We are paying through the nose for 8Mb.£29.99 a month.Our line can receive 6Mb. This is fine.

We should receive this.You cant telling me that 0.14 is acceptable? It can not even technically be classed as "broadband" which I would class as being against the T&C's!  If working from home is against the T&C's then I guess most people in this country have problems. The lack of service and the useless call centres are nothing to do with this.

Since cancelling the engineer this morning they have now choked back the IP Profile again to 2mb. Here we go again.

Do you work for BT imjolly?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

everyone of the forum is a BT customer just like you apart from the forum mods who are the only BT employees on the forum.

from your brief description it appears that your conection is dropping resulting in a lower speed hence the lower profile and lower download speed.  if your speed recovers then it can take 3+ days 24/7 conenction for profile to automatically recover but if you cannot maintain a stable conenction then profile will not recover

posting the information I asked for previously will enable the forum members to provide you with some assistance

there is a difference between checking work emails and casual use for business as against running a small business from home using a residential line

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I can see from the Event log on the hb what they are doing. It was fine all weekend and this morning until lunch time when they swtiched us over to a server in Reading.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

you haven't beed moved.  if you can post some stats then you will be able to get some more detailed help

0 Ratings