Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexc
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

IP Profile suddenly 0.5Mbps

Go to solution

Hi - I've tried to piece this together from the forums, can someone verify?

Background:

I woke up today to find my connection 90% slower than usual. I Webchatted with someone from BT who didn't have anything useful to give me, other than a link to the BT speed test. After they were unable to help, I pushed another button on the speed test site which revealled that while my connection was at 8Mbps, my IP Profile was 0.5.

Is this right:

For some reason, my line has shown poor connection reliability so has been bumped down to the miniumum speed possible?

This will naturally remedy in a period of time?

I should leave my router on and resist the temptation to reset, otherwise it will never improve?

Openreach are the perfect storm of unaccountable and incompetant?

You can ignore the last one, I already know that's correct.

Ty 🙂

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: IP Profile suddenly 0.5Mbps

Go to solution

if your profile is down at 0.5mb then your router has dropped connection at least once and when it reconnected the down speed was <832kbps resulting in your low 0.5mb profile

if you maintain connection for 3/5 days with no resets or drops then if you have max 8128kbps connection speed then your profile should recover to 7.15mb.

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

are you using the test socket to eliminate your internal wiring from causing the drops in conenction?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
alexc
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

3-5 days? **bleep**, that's pretty painful. 

The line test sounds ok, and the connection seems same as ever.

I'll just play the waiting game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mDcZGRKQ_M

0 Ratings
alexc
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Spoiler

It bleeped 'D4mn' ?? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

LOL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
alexc
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Just had a call from tier 2 support (I figured out the IP Profile thing between talking to T1 and T2).

She claimed to have reset the IP Profile and that the result should have been immediate (it wasn't)

Have I just reset my 3-5 day counter?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

has your router dropped conenction - can you post adsl stats from your router?

if your router has dropped conenction and profile not chnaged then yes timescale starts again

0 Ratings
alexc
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

She told me to restart the router..

I know..

You've got to assume that the techies being paid to be techies know what they're talking about.

Next time I'll lie.

0 Ratings
alexc
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I've never seen it connect below this. I'm CERTAIN they've been tinkering with something outside the house.. 2.5 years of perfect connection, then somehow it drops to 0.5Mbps. And they've delayed the fibre roll-out to the village. Coincidence? 

WANpppoa7186088533048712580900:50:41
LAN110M/100M8944676213026538577500:51:14
LAN210M/100M00:51:11
LAN310M/100M00:49:18
LAN4Link Down--
WLAN--------------

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed8128 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation12.0 db6.0 db
Noise Margin11.8 db30.0 db

DownStream Connection Speed8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed

448 kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

sorry can your run btspeedtster diagnostic test please 

btspeedtester

0 Ratings