Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thebradeybunch
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

IP profile

Go to solution
Hi, this is my first post on the community, so please forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly.

I have been experiencing very slow broadband speeds for around 6 month's now and so finally decided to book an engineer. We live in a rural location and we are around 3 miles from our exchange, so I know I'm never going to get super fast speed. However we did for a long time receive around 1mbps. That has now dropped to less than 0.4mbps

An engineer came out on Monday and told us that our line at the exchange had been capped. He rang a department somewhere to get it uncapped and sure enough our speeds jumped to 2mbps.

This only lasted 3 days however. We are now down to 0.1mbps

When I run the BT speed test, it reports that the IP profile for my line is 0.14mbps
And that the maximum speed I can expect is 0.05 - 0.25mbps

Am I correct in saying that it's capped to 0.14mbps again and if so, who or how do I contact to get this changed.

Many thanks
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: IP profile

Go to solution

can you post adsl stats from your router

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results  must be with wired connection

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

are you using the test socket at present to eliminate probelems with internal wiring

The low profile may well be due to your router dropping connection and reconnecting at a lower speed.  if your router is having problems maintaining a stable connection then a profile reset is pointless until the stability problem is fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
thebradeybunch
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if this is what your after, I hope so.

We had an engineer out on monday for slow broadband. He said our connection had been capped and that he had to remove the cap. Sure enough our speed jumped up to 2mbps. This only lasted 3 days before we then lost phone and broadband. Another engineer visit on friday reconnected us and we still had a connection of 2mbps. Unfortunately, that only lasted 1 day and we are now only getting a speed of 0.1mbps

The download speed of 1.7mbps reported on the BT speed test is incorrrect. As confirmed by both engineers that visited and watched me run the speed tests. All other broadband speed checkers report a speed of 0.1mbps

What I can't work out is why the IP profile is set to 0.14mbps and the acceptable speed for the line is 0.05 -0.25mbps

When the engineers left, we had 2mbps. Is it because the line can't support 2mbps? Numerous online chats with BT help have only resulted in them resetting? the line and an SNR reset? This unfortunately hasn't made a difference

VPI/VCI: 0/38Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 5.6 dB / 21.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 60.5 dB / 31.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 17.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 1150034 / 124 CRC Events (Down/Up): 7125 / 125 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 HEC Events (Down/Up): 37612 / 99 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 9885 / 576

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1.71 Mbps

0 Mbps0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.71 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2.56 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

your profile is low due to a previously low speed but as long as your conenction is now stable with no resets/drops in connection your profile should correct itself in 3/5 days automatically

if however your conenction is not stable which is quite possible from information you have posted you need to get that sorted first otherwise any manual reset of profile will be wasted as you will be back with low profile again in no time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
thebradeybunch
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thankyou for your help. I will monitor the connection and keep you posted
0 Ratings