Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

ISP details swapping hhub for 3rd party router

Go to solution

Know this is a most often posted query but -

am swapping hhub4 for a new TP-Link dsl modem router and need bt isp bb details what are they ?

reason I ask is I’ve been informed they are :

username.faimlyname@btbroadband.com no password but for the life of me I cannot get it working anyone have ideas ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: ISP details swapping hhub for 3rd party router

Go to solution

@dspit1664 wrote:

Know this is a most often posted query but -

am swapping hhub4 for a new TP-Link dsl modem router and need bt isp bb details what are they ?

reason I ask is I’ve been informed they are :

username.faimlyname@btbroadband.com no password but for the life of me I cannot get it working anyone have ideas ?

Nothing so complicated, just use broadbanduser@btbroadband.com, authentication is done against your phone line.

0 Ratings
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Will try - strange as I contacted bt online chat and they told me what to use. However I’ll try and see if what you have advised works and report back 👍
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

The first bit can be almost anything, but it must end in @btbroadband.com. Password is bt.

0 Ratings
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Sigh must be something else wrong as:

i added the ‘bthomehub@btbroadband.com’ 

also tried with or with out pwd ‘bt’

When I added the ‘<something>@btbroadband.com’

and went to the next line ie password the user line went green indicating it was good. 

The pwd and next line were both still un-coloured

I’ll add a screen shot if I can ? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

as you are on adsl did you set it to PPPoA not PPPoE

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

If you just use the setup wizard, and select "BT ADSL" as your connection, everything is done for you, all you need is to fill in the PPPoA authentication info. Its very similar to the TP Link W9970.

See the emulator https://emulator.tp-link.com/Emulator_VR900(EU)2.0/index.htm

0 Ratings
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Slight annoyance had to reset my router and work through setup again but this time it worked perfectly. 

Straight through no muss no fuss 👍

0 Ratings
dspit1664
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
lol your right thanks for pointing out my oversight 😁
0 Ratings
Ky1e0
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith! I've seen your responses to a few of the posts on here and you seem extrodinarily helpful, and well educated on all of these topics. I have had no help no where else, so I'm coming to you as my last resort. You seem like a busy man so I'll try to keep it as short as possible. 

My issue: Ping spikes every 10 or so seconds on both wired and wireless. (Tested on pingplotter, and other ping plotting applications). Probably due to living in a household of 6. 

What I've tried: Replacing my BTHomeHub6 with a WD9970. 

However,  now I don't know what to do next. 

I have 10 devices connected to the internet. A TV (for video streaming), two PS4s (for gaming / one connected wirelessly, other wired), one PC (which I'm having the most trouble with ping spikes, it's wired), 4 mobile phones,  2 laptops. 

I don't know what settings to use on the router website, or what bandwidth control settings to try out. i need smooth ping on my PC, but still be able for the rest of my house to experience decent internet. You seem quite well versed in regards to these sort of issues, any ideas what I should do? 

Extra knowledge: A technician came round and said everything was fine 

0 Ratings