cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Impact of old wiring on broadband speeds

Hello, this follows on from an earlier post about poor upload speeds as I hadn't considered the wiring.

Just before the drop line, which is about 6 yrs old, enters my house it goes into a junction box where it splits into two. The first branch goes to a junction box in the living room, where the master socket was originally located, and from there to 2 extensions. The second branch goes to an ADSL master socket in the study which was installed by an Openreach engineer about 8 yrs ago but using the old cable that previously ran from the former living room master socket to the study along the outside of the house. From my knowledge of the house this cable must be at least 50 yrs old.

I have 3 questions whether their individual impact would improve my broadband speed

1 Should I replace the 50yr old cable between the outside junction box and the new master socket? Btw there's no noise I can hear on the line.

2 Should I disconnect the first branch at the outside junction box as I don't need the extensions?

3 Is it worth replacing the 8 yr old master socket with the latest Mk 4 version?

Your advice would be appreciated, thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Impact of old wiring on broadband speeds

From what you describe you have star wiring which causes real problems with broadband so you need to disconnect the extension so only wiring goes to master socket 

Many people have old wiring but is there any line noise especially after you remove the extension wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Age in itself doesn't impair wiring, as long as the insulation is sound and hasn't been physically damaged it won't cause a problem. But as @imjolly  says, star wiring will.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

OK thanks, that's clear advice. How about replacing the master socket with Mk4?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

You can if you want but I would sort out your wiring first then see how your connection is working - probably a lot better after removing star wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings