Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Inconsistent speed

For years now our internet speed has been so inconsistent, we've paid over £200 in B.T. engineers, every time claiming they've fixed the problem but it still persists.

During the day, normally we should get around 4 mb/s, which I'm happy with and can use easily. However, for as long as I can remember, our internet decides to slow up to around 0.03 mb/s download and 0.00 mb/s upload. When I'm playing video games, I notice that my ping decides to sit at 996, not around it, that specific number exactly. This also happens just generally when using the internet, rendering it unusable. Since our postcode isn't on the SEP fibre rollout list in Hertfordshire, I'm not holding high hopes for fibre within the next few years, and would like to get this sorted once and for all.

So, in summary, our speed fluctuates between 4 and all the way down to 0 throughout the day, and during the night I cannot use it AT ALL until around midday as it just is so slow. I notice the ping sits at 996 exactly and it will stay there for hours before coming down, we're not talking about short ping spikes here, we're talking long outages.

I've tried to quiet line test, it's all quiet and no noise. I would also like to mention that the noise margin is not the issue, we've had that investigated and it wasn't the cause. This problem happens over wireless AND ethernet, so don't tell me to wire it up and see if that helps, because it doesn't.

Router status:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed6304 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation28.0 db16.0 db
Noise Margin15.3 db24.0 db

Further diagnostics test: 

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.15 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6.3 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5 Mbps

I would like to point out that this test was taken when the internet was working normally, when not functioning I cannot load any webpages in under 1 minute, and I lost connection to the BT servers when trying to perform it during a slow period, so it's impossible.

Please don't say "you're speed is acceptable for your line" or whatever, I realise that, I'm trying to solve a frequent slow halt of the speed, and the ping issue, I'm not talking about a constant slow speed here.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Inconsistent speed

with your comments is as if you don't actually want and help from the forum or comments as you ahve covered them - and still your conenction speed is lower than I would expect for a 28db attenuation due to the higher noise margin  due to your proximity to the exchange your noise margin will always, while on adslmax, be above the recongnised normal of 6db and that is ok

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number 

btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are there any problem shown for your exchange like hot VP that could be causing the low download speed  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

I'm not talking about a constant slow speed, just ping spikes that are happening hourly and they last themselves for hours sometimes. The issue isn't the 3-4 mb/s speed, it's the ping spikes that I'm talking about. I'm happy to take 3 mb/s any day if it means it's stable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

as you can see from the checker you should have an easy 8mb connection speed

anything in exchange links?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 5 of 36

No, everything looks normal. Bear in mind I am ~ 1km from the exchange, and we aren't linked up to a cabinet, just straight to the exchange.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 36

if you enter your attenuation this will show expected speed

check speed

0 Ratings
Zacg99
Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Says on DSLMax which I'm on an IP profile of 7 mb/s, which obviously isn't what I'm getting

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 36

but you need to get the 8mb max conenction speed to get the 7mb profile - currently you only have 6.3mb and high noise margin

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

your noise margin is way above the default of 6dB are you connected to the test socket
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

John46 as I said already that is expected as 28db attenuation and on adslmax - well above 6db noise margin is not a problem here

0 Ratings