Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
harrison474
Message 1 of 10

Increaseing line speed

Go to solution

Hey,

Just recently moved over to BT from another ISP, which has greatly improved my line speed however I'm still having a bit of an issue.

Although my download speed has pretty much doubled and then some from a non exsiting .5mbs to a 2.7mbs my upload speed has remaibed unchainged at around the .3/.4mbs mark.

Now I was wondeing if I could improve this or if possible improve then both slightly? As I game online a little bit more speed wouldn't hurt.

Cheers

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Increaseing line speed

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember yo delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
harrison474
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

thanks imjolly,

If i've read correctly this should be the connection speed and noise margin :

07:59:57, 26 Aug.( 77.010000) DSL is up
07:59:55, 26 Aug.( 75.580000) DSL noise margin: 16.00 dB upstream, 6.20 dB downstream
07:59:55, 26 Aug.

( 75.510000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 3104 Kbps downstream

The speed tester is not working (I use a MAC so not to helpful) I have however trieed the alternate that is offered and this is the results of that:

Download speed (Mbps) : 2.75

Upload speed (Mbps) : 0.38

Ping Larency (ms) :49.75

As far as I can tell I have no master socket, or if I have it is extremly well hidden as I have checked every socket in the house. As my first thought was to try this but as the connection speed is fairly reasonable I didn't suspect a line fault I was more curious as how I could increase this further.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Do you have something like this outside on the wall oexternal_NTE_1.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

You are on adslmax up to 8mb and 448kbos is as fast an upstream speed as you get. Can you run the dsl checker and post resilts

0 Ratings
harrison474
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I have nothing like what you posted outside of the house, I have however found a box under the stairs that looks like a phone line socket but with no openings and the phone line running through it.

The results to the DNS checker are :

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)80802020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8070.52019--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--1.5 to 5.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1.5 to 4.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

So from the checker you are able to get fibre/infinity with estimate of 80/70.5 down connection and 20/19 up connection speed. Your exchange is also upgraded to adsl2 but the change in speed from adslmax is minimal so wholesale have put your connection on adslmax

0 Ratings
harrison474
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

No worries, no point in channing for a such a little difference & fiber was way to expensive. Still at least I know it's the max & it is way better than what we had previously.

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Although your download speed will not change much, your upload speed could possibly double by moving to ADSL2.

If you want, when the mods post a link to them ask them if they can get you switched.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
adsl2+is more noise aggressive and you may suffer more disconnections and bad line stability
0 Ratings