Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spec_d
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity DIY data extension cable/ details on NTE5 socket

Go to solution

Planning ahead for taking up Infinity, I've got a master socket in the hall and the current BT Hub 2 up in a spare bedroom.

I don't want the openreach modem and Infinity HH box in the hall and don't want surface mounted cables as per the official extension pack.

If I want the HH box & open reach modem up in the bedroom then can I simply mount good quality  twisted Cat5e cable in a more covert fashion, with ordinary RJ45 sockets  at each end?

Also, instead of an extra RJ45 socket in the hall, would the NTE5 socket that comes with Infinity have an internal RJ45 socket in it/ internal pins to mount the cat5e cable directly inside?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
tubaloopy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity DIY data extension cable/ details on NTE5 socket

Go to solution

The Infinity faceplate has internal pins to run extensions but they are for the phone only (i.e. are filtered and will NOT send your broadband feed, only voice, to any sockets connected to them).

You have to have the modem near the master socket but you can run Cat5 from the modem to the HH red broadband socket. I run mine through the walls and around the outside of my house (using cable made for outside use). The links together network faceplates; one next to the modem and the other upstairs where the hub sits on the desk in my study.

The only other option would be the Data Extension Kit

0 Ratings
spec_d
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks,

So nothing unusual is needed to make an extension.

I could do without the modem cluttering up the hall.

What's the reason why it has to be right next to the master socket?

Is there going to be a big drop in signal quality if a had a decent Cat5e cable from master up to the extension and then have the modem?

Also, do I have to use the BT modem and HH box or is there a manufacturer who combines the two boxes? 

Why didn't BT make a combo unit?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

For Infinity the vdsl modem has to be fitted at the master socket, it uses its own RG11 type faceplate that goes inbetween the faceplate and back of master socket, due to the nature of the service this is the best way to deliver FTTC. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Spec_d the reason why it is better to keep the modem as close to the master socket is because the VDSL signal is quite vulnerable to interference which means lost speed. The signal, after the modem has done its bit, is PPoE, your cabling might work but why take the risk? The VDSL modem is quite small and discrete and can be wall mounted. 

Currently you cannot get a combined router modem for VDSL but they may well appear in time. In the current system all ISPs have to use the BT Openreach modem which has to be fitted by one of their engineers not dissimilar to the very early days of ADSL. 

0 Ratings
spec_d
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies.

I'll just go ahead then with 2 x RJ45 face plates and a cable between, with modem at the master socket and the HH upstairs.

0 Ratings
Xign
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Infinitechris wrote:

Spec_d the reason why it is better to keep the modem as close to the master socket is because the VDSL signal is quite vulnerable to interference which means lost speed. The signal, after the modem has done its bit, is PPoE, your cabling might work but why take the risk? The VDSL modem is quite small and discrete and can be wall mounted.

If he uses the "Data Extension Kit" (i.e. RJ45) I'm sure that wont affect the signal? Or else why would BT offer it? I asked this in another thread to clarify and was told it has NO impact on performance.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings