Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 15

Initial Connection Issue BT Home Hub 4 - green flashing light indefinitely

Go to solution

Hey,

My activiation date was 3rd September, and I was told an engineer would visit (and hub would be delivered). Before the day arrived I was told an engineer did not need to visit. Hub arrived on 3rd September. Connected all up as instructed, but the hub (BT Home Hub 4) first showed a solid green light (about 20 seconds) and then a flashing green light, which remains indefinitely.

The filter is plugged directly into the test socket, so there should be no problems with internal wiring. I have no phone attached, but when I do attach the phone it works fine and makes and receives calls with no noise (with the broadband line plugged in alongside).

The hub has not broadcast a wireless network SSID yet at all.

Interestingly (frustratingly?) the reset button on top (soft reset) does not do anything, even on holding. Even more interestingly (frustratingly?) the reset small button on the back (hard reset) also does nothing, even on holding for over a minute.

I spoke to tech support on 3rd September, who ran some checks and suggested there may be a problem with the line. They were meant to call me back on 5th September (had a text reminder confirming this) but they did not. They are scheduled to call again this evening.

Can anyone on here suggest further help - I am tempted to believe that the hub is faulty (but I know that's a tempting thing to believe for everyone).

Any advice?

Summary: TLDR: Indefinitely flashing green light on Home Hub 4. No SSID. Reset buttons do nothing. No problem with internal wiring. Phone line fine.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Initial Connection Issue BT Home Hub 4 - green flashing light indefinitely

Go to solution
if the hub is not showing an SSID then is sounds like a faulty hub
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

there is no green light on HH4  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44266/~/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-home-hub-4-mean%3...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
@imjolly, yes there is. My HH4 flashed it a few weeks back for unknown reason and then it rebooted itself.There is no reference made to it in the hub instructions.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@Dippu wrote:
@imjolly, yes there is. My HH4 flashed it a few weeks back for unknown reason and then it rebooted itself.There is no reference made to it in the hub instructions.

never used a HH4 but as you can see BT make no mention of a 'green' in there HH4 lights - could it be a variation on the blue light

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
No, I get blue as well. Just because it's not on their instructions it does not mean it's there. I will post a picture of it next time it happens. I don't know what it means. Maybe MOD could tell.
Typical BT half a job!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

There is indeed a green light (I'm watching it now). The website you posted says this: 

Hub start-up light sequence

Start-up takes a few minutes. The Hub lights will go from green to blue, then to orange. If everything's OK, you'll end up with the central blue light as the only light that's on.

So it does look like I'm never getting past the boot up stage.

Complaints/tech support rang me yesterday to tell me they don't know what is happening and they'll ring me back tonight.

They also sent me a bill, which is a bit painful.

Thanks for the input from everyone - keep any advice coming if you think you can help!?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

well spotted never even saw that it starts green then blue

sounds like hub needs replaced

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
agree with IMJ sounds like a faulty hub request a replacement
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks IMJ and john46 for the input - I'll request a replacement hub tonight when when BT call me back, if no other solution is presented before then. I'll try to update this forum thread if/when the situation is resolved.

Thanks again,

Ben

0 Ratings