cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpw88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Interleaving Troubles: Part 2

I'll reference this thread from September last year: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Interleaving-Troubles-Stuck-on-0-5-mbps/m-p/56...

The problem was our downstream became severely capped due to interleaving. The connection is slightly unstable and whilst a few technicians and an engineer could not resolve the underlying issue (old wiring (apparently)) causing the connection to drop.

The cap however (or interleaving turned off?) was lifted and all has been great with our connection with perfectly acceptable speeds again.

Until a few days ago.

Interleaving has dropped us down to 2mbps downstream and then this morning to 1mbps and I presume may go further, as was the case last time around.

No wiring / extensions or changes have been made within the house. At all.

Please help, the usual spiel of checking test sockets and phone lines did not resolve the issue last time around, only a reset of whatever interleaving settings had occurred (which is outside of our control) resolved this.

Cheers,

Ben
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Interleaving Troubles: Part 2

it wasn't interleaving that was the problem from your previous post but there was a banded profile probably caused by constant dropping of your connection. can you post your router adsl stats to see how they compare.  have you been suffering from drops in connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bpw88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Same as last time, connection drops when phonecall is made, (which the engineer couldn't figure out) other than that not that I can particularly recall.

I apologise for not realising it wasn't interleaving, just can't help but notice the speeds have slowed down and I see that the downstream is being capped..?

Here are stats:

Connection information

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 02:14:49
Downstream:1,150 Kbps
Upstream:444 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):2.9 dB / 5.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):22.0 dB / 13.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 10.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):139204 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 4
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 4
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

If your broadband connection drops when the phone rings it sounds like a high resistance joint and needs Openreach intervention

To avoid any possible charges you need to connect the hub to the test socket and see if the disconnection continue
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

I would connect direct to the test socket with a new filter and repost the router stats.  your connection speed is low but your noise margin is also very low but with your attenuation I would expect about 19mb connection on good line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
bpw88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I did this last time round!! Sorry to get agitated but this did not help.

My downstream has now gone down to 572 Kbps now which is stupidly bad.

I spent weeks with emails back and forth as well as speaking to two different technicians over the phone unplugging and replugging devices around the house. Putting the router in the test socket (where it remains) buying new filters for every socket and having an engineer visit and check the test socket and none of this solved the problem last time round. After all these "problems" were ruled out I believe (but may be mislead) that interleaving was turned off and our downstream was no longer capped.. Which is out of my control. Apologies for feeling slightly miffed but I would rather not do this all again.

I am seriously frustrated right now.

Thanks, Ben

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

as this is a customer help customer forum then what you do is up to you.  by connecting to the test socket that eliminates any problems caused by your internal wiring and gives the mods (only BT employees on the forum) information in case you need their assistance and an engineer visit.

as I said choice is yours

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

you are in a banded profile because of your disconnections and your speed will not improve until the source of the disconnections is located and repaired this link explains why your speed has dropped
http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/speed_drop.html
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 10

@john46 wrote:
If your broadband connection drops when the phone rings it sounds like a high resistance joint and needs Openreach intervention

To avoid any possible charges you need to connect the hub to the test socket and see if the disconnection continue

Not necessarily .... you can't keep quantifying what's happening with a fixed diagnosis idea.

It may be that there is a significant line imbalance causing the drop, and is instigated by a phonecall.

In which case, whether the OP is in the test socket or not, will make little difference.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 10

But it does make sense to "start over" .... and to negate the obvious.

So start with quietline tests .... then look at the internal wiring, placement, filter quality.

If and when all these things are deemed normal and healthy so far as can be seen, then you have to consider getting

outside help .... and a proper line test done, from the EU socket, by BTo.

The relatively simple identification of being in a banded line profile is fine .... but of no real help unless the reasons

for being there are identified, and thus a fix implemented. At the end of the day, the line drops have to disappear

to get back to normality.

0 Ratings