Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HuntyUK
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Internet connection dropping out

Go to solution

Hi, I have been having trouble since Sunday with my internet,  it keeps dropping out, I have been in touch with BT and they sent me a new HH6, this didn't solve the problem, then they said they would schedule an engineer and I would receive a text with a time slot that I had to reply to, this never happened, I have also had two text messages telling me that the problem has been fixed, it hasn't, so I just called again and the lady told me she was going to send me some broadband extenders for free, and this should fix the problem? Whilst I appreciate free gear, I don't see how this will solve anything, anyway, I'm at a loss now, I'm thinking that it must be a problem at the exchange or with the master socket. Any thoughts?

Here is some info from the event log that I thought might be relevant:

16:18:58, 27 Sep.

ppp1:PPP: PPP INFO 81.139.57.100,81.139.56.100

16:18:56, 27 Sep.

ppp1:PPP: PPP INFO

16:18:55, 27 Sep.

ppp:PPP: IPCP_NAK

ppp:PPP: CHAP_SUCCESS

ppp:PPP: CHAP_RESPONSE

ppp:PPP: LCP_GOOD_ACK

ppp:PPP: LCP_REQUEST

:PPPoE error: timeout

16:18:46, 27 Sep.

16:18:41, 27 Sep.

16:17:46, 27 Sep.

:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

16:17:39, 27 Sep.

:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

15:50:46, 27 Sep.

ppp1:PPP: PPP INFO 81.139.57.100,81.139.56.100

15:50:42, 27 Sep.

ppp1:PPP: PPP INFO

15:50:41, 27 Sep.

ppp:PPP: IPCP_NAK

15:50:41, 27 Sep.

ppp:PPP: CHAP_SUCCESS

15:50:40, 27 Sep.

ppp:PPP: CHAP_RESPONSE

ppp:PPP: LCP_GOOD_ACK

ppp:PPP: LCP_REQUEST

15:50:31, 27 Sep.

15:50:26, 27 Sep.

15:49:31, 27 Sep.

15:49:21, 27 Sep.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Internet connection dropping out

Go to solution

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Can you also check that the phone number that is read out to you, matches you own phone number.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

is it possible for you to connect to test socket with a filter even if you have a filtered master socket and post stats from the hh6 - advanced settings then technical log information

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

are you using wifi or wired when connection is dropping

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
HuntyUK
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

I don't have a phone plugged into the landline, so I'm unable to test this. I will get a cheap wired phone tomorrow and give it a go.

0 Ratings
HuntyUK
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

I tried the test line with a filter yesterday and it didn't pick anything up, it drops out on both wifi and ethernet, I have tested them both seperately.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@HuntyUK wrote:

I don't have a phone plugged into the landline, so I'm unable to test this. I will get a cheap wired phone tomorrow and give it a go.

That is what you need , this is the reason.

Why do you need phone connected to your line?

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

0 Ratings
HuntyUK
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Brilliant, I will get one tomorrow and post back. Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
HuntyUK
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Ok, I plugged the phone in and no dial tone, same with th test socket.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@HuntyUK wrote:
Ok, I plugged the phone in and no dial tone, same with th test socket.

Then you need to report the fault as No Dial Tone, or cannot make any calls. When the phone line has been fixed, and you get dial tone, the broadband will get better. You can call on a mobile 0800 800 150, or use the online reporting page.

Do not mention the broadband issue, as the fault will end up in the wrong queue, and you may wait a lot longer.

You may be warned about a possible charge, but as you have tested at the test socket, the fault will be external.

0 Ratings
HuntyUK
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Brilliant, thanks again.
0 Ratings