cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonymac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Internet connection keeps dropping out every day or so

ISP is BT, on BB Option 2, and am on a Home hub 3. Not on Infinity.

Every day or so, maybe once per day, the connection to  the Internet drops out.

All wireless devices can connect to the hub, all the lights are blue on the hub but it has no Internet connection.

No pattern with it, sometimes can be three laptops and a PS3 on there plus phones and off it goes, sometimes only a laptop.

Press rest on the hub, resets itself and always comes back with a connection.

Checked for loose wires, the wall adaptor was replaced last year, (see my previous post) and nothing obvious.

No microfilters reqd as I have a new adaptor, so cannot see that the wiring in the house could be an issue. Adaptor is connected direct to the master socket and the hub straight into that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tony

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping out every day or so

Does it disconnect on computers that are connected using an Ethernet cable, or is it just wireless that is affected?

0 Ratings
tonymac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Hi Keith,

all the laptops are wireless connections not wired. I moved the hub to the main socket for a direct connection which is located in the dining room. All laptops shows they connect to the hub but no internet connection.

I must admit I have not tried going onto wired connection if the internet connection drops.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

could you try a with a wired connection and see if the problem still exists
tonymac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Ok thanks John.

I will have to wait until it drops out again and then try.

Will keep you posted when it happens.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

there is always some one around to help also which hub are you using
0 Ratings
Highlighted
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I had a similar (probably the same) issue. Eventually had an engineer call and the only solution was to adjust the S/N ratio. To boost the line speed they'd dropped it really low but made the line unstable, putting it back to 9dB sorted my line out. The speed went down from 8ish MB to 5-6 MB but a stable line is more important. Check your stats in the hub and see if anything leaps out at you. Changes to line ratios are done at the exchange so will probably require a call to BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@somersetbob wrote:

I had a similar (probably the same) issue. Eventually had an engineer call and the only solution was to adjust the S/N ratio. To boost the line speed they'd dropped it really low but made the line unstable, putting it back to 9dB sorted my line out. The speed went down from 8ish MB to 5-6 MB but a stable line is more important. Check your stats in the hub and see if anything leaps out at you. Changes to line ratios are done at the exchange so will probably require a call to BT.

if you problem was solved by increasing your noise margin then that is not the same problem as OP is not dropping interent connection but problems with wifi connected devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tonymac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

I am using a bt home hub 3 the one with the infinity connection. Sods law.is that is has been fine tonight:)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

ok thanks for the hub details just post back when the problem returns
0 Ratings