Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave70
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Internet connection keeps dropping

Hi

We have a HH 3.  The pc is wired to the hub.  The printer is wired to the hub.  The laptop is wireless.

We are constantly loosing our internet connection on the pc in internet explorer and chrome.  we also loose the emails in live mail.  When the internet is down we are unable to print.  All the lghts stay on on the hub.  The hub has been recently replaced by BT, but the situation is still the same.

Tonight I had the laptop working at the same time as the pc.  The pc had no internet connection, but the laptop did!

Can anyone shed any light on this please.  It has dropped several times when making secure payments leaving us not knowing if the transaction has been completed.  Also interesting that when email doesn't work, desktop help offers to fix the problem, but always hangs looking for the email acoounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping

welcome to the forum

can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected to the NTE5 master or test socket or somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 15

@dave70 wrote:snip

Tonight I had the laptop working at the same time as the pc.  The pc had no internet connection, but the laptop did!

Have you tried updating the Ethernet driver on the PC?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
dave70
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

I didn't know there was a driver associated with this.  Where do I need to look to find out what it is?

Sorry to be so dense:smileyhappy:

0 Ratings
dave70
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Connection Information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

1 days, 16:59:01

Downstream:

4.617 Mbps

Upstream:

1.039 Mbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.5 Annex A

Latency type:

Fast

Noise margin (Down/Up):

13.4 dB / 5.7 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

41.7 dB / 23.8 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

19.5 dBm / 12.6 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up):

573 / 337

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

1237 / 193

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

1714 / 5801

This shows a continuous connection, but in trying to do this, every time I loaded a new page I had to keep refreshing, or it would say page not available.

Have tried in all the different sockets - care of BT trying to sort the problem, replaced filters, plugged in at main socket etc.

Have tried the quiet line test - and it is quiet - assume that is the right answer?

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

if you get windows to check for updates it should find any updates for your network card along with any other updates required.

your noise margin is a bit high at 13 as normal about 6 but if you are connected to the test socket then I would just leave it 24/7 and your noise margin should reduce with an increase in your speed.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 15

It's suggested that you go direct to the manufacturers website and download them from there.

But, you can try it this way...

Click start and type device manager

(it'll probably show after only typing dev)

Click on it

new window opens

Look down the list for Network adapters

click the + and it should show all the current devices installed

Look for something like PCI-E Fast Ethernet and right click

Select Update Driver Software - windows will then check online for you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dave70
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

not currently in the test socket - so move to it?

And repeat?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

your best connection will be in the test socket

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

My fellow rapid response technician has answered the above:smileyvery-happy:

Did it find and install an updated driver?

0 Ratings