cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
countryhome
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Internet cuts out when phone rings or is used in any way, very noisy phone line.

Hi, we've recently moved in November and apart from not being able to get fibre since it's oversubscribed (give us another slot please!) the net cuts out whenever the phone rings or is used in any wawy and the line is very noisy.

How do i book an engineer visit ?

Thanks, Gary.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Internet cuts out when phone rings or is used in any way, very noisy phone line.

Welcome to this user forum.

You need to check at the test socket first, to avoid a possible charge. If the noise is there at the test socket, then the fault is external.

As shown below.

adsl_test.jpg

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: Internet cuts out when phone rings or is used in any way, very noisy phone line.

when you conenct to test socket with filter you also need to check that there is no dial tone at any phone extension as that would indicate star wiring and would cause the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
countryhome
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I don't have a test socket (pic attached). When we moved in the engineer swapped the master/slave sockets and they both look like attached pic, a new kind of cover i've not seen before with no screws they just clip on.bt socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

only one of the sockets can be the master and normally first socket where openreach cable enters your home  the test socket is right in the middle and need to be conencted using a filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
countryhome
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thanks jolly, both of my phone points only have one socket when i remove the cover, the picture shown is the new master point should i use the socket in there? I was thinking you meant there should be two sockets there?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

if that is the master then I would expect to see the other extension socket connected to the terminal block below and left of test socket - where is it connected?  any connections on back of the removed front section?

0 Ratings
countryhome
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

No conmnections on back, i must mention i don't have confidence in the engineer they sent, he looked about 12, left the house twice for nearly an hour each time and took ages jst to mvoe a socket so perhaps he's buggered things up.

Should i just 151 a fault on the line ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

As @imjolly pointed out, the extension connections on the NTE5C are the numbered connectors you can see on the left of the picture. There are no connections on the removable part. Although the picture shown is a master socket, it would appear to be an extension as there is only one cable. Can you post a picture of the second socket please, I suspect there are 2 cables connected to that one  and it will be the master. There should not be 2 master sockets connected to one line.