cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tangram
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Internet dropping out at same time every night

I have exactly the same problem as several others do. BT have never given me an answer as to why it happens but every time I chat, they say there is a fault on the the line and it gets fixed for one night only. Then at EXACTLY, give or take a few mins, the same time every night, my BB speed drops to almost nothing and I am unable to watch BT Sports on my TV.

My question is what is causing this to happen at about the same time every night (2215-2230)?

I looked at the home hub manager but I did not see anything at all about power saving. There was a configure button but that is against Access Control.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Internet dropping out at same time every night

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

do you actually drop connection or is it the speed that drops but router remains conencted to internet?  if it was a hub power saving problem then as this is automatic it should not  happen if you are using internet only if internet is not being used

do you have anything in your home that switches on or off at that time eg central heating which could be causing an electrical problem?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Hi @tangram and thanks for posting.

Does anything else happen when the drops occur such as heating pumps or street lights switching on? Can you give us as much detail as possible and we'll try to help.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
tangram
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to try what John suggested later and will feedback the results. As for anything else dropping out, there are no issues with anything else electrical in the house or outside. The connection does not drop out completely, it slows down to an almost unusable speed, less than 1mbps and of course when this happens, I am unable to watch BT Sports, as that requires a faster connection, which is rather annoying as most of the stuff I watch is on ESPN late at night.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

then run btspeedtester when connection appears good then run it again when poor and post to illustrate your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

I suggest DavidM is along the right line. It's gonna be some form of electrical interference. Either in your premises, a neighbour or along the route your copper cable runs externally either overhead or underground.
The issue is known as REIN. (Repetitive electrical impulse noise)
There are many good sites on the internet with examples of how to locate this problem.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

You might be on to something there @Devon_Dave.

@tangram you'll get some great advice on REIN issues on the kitz site. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 18

Openreach also have engineers that are trained to locate REIN issues. Try tuning an AM radio to 612KHz at the time the broadband drops and take a listen.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
tangram
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Sods law! I've not had any problems for the last two nights, so hopefully they've fixed it. But I do appreciate all the help and will report back if things go wrong again and will use your help and guidance.

0 Ratings