cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Internet intermittent at best

Go to solution

Hi, every few minutes my internet randomly cuts out for about 5 minutes before slowly reconnecting. Even then the speed is abysmal at 1.4mbps at best with huge latency issues. I just want to know if there's an issue in the area or is this service just forever going to be mediocre?

edited by mod

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Internet intermittent at best

Go to solution

@Chrisstapleton Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi,

I'd love to do that but unfortunately I do not have a landline phone at all.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@Chrisstapleton wrote:

Hi,

I'd love to do that but unfortunately I do not have a landline phone at all.

Then I am afraid, that is the only way you can locate the problem, as a noisy phone line is the usual cause of disconnections, as I assume the lights on the BT Home Hub change colour when you get the disconnection?

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

What does your master phone socket look like, as there are a couple of other checks you can make?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi,

So my internet's been stable for the last half hour finally however my latency is 400ms - 2,000ms fluctuating and my download speed seems capped to 249KB/s peak and average is about 131KB/s which is excessively lower than expected. Is this still something that could be resolved by checking the phone line with a landline phone?

The socket looks like number 2
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

even borrowing a landline phone just to try tests to see if problem is line noise

which master do you have?

can you post hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Do the lights on the BT Home Hub keep changing colour?

Which BT Home Hub do you have?

Do you have any other phone sockets or extension wiring?

Are you checking your speed using a computer which is connected directly to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, as any tests done over wireless are meaningless?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

We have a 4.0 type A home hub, no other phone line or extension wiring. I plugged a laptop into the ethernet cable direct to the hub after turning off all downloads and I am at 175 ms, 0.24mbps download and 0.48mbps upload. The lights have stopped changing colours , they were an hour or so ago but have since stopped 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

From what you describe, its most likely a noisy phone line? That would have caused your speed to be reduced.

What speed range are you expecting on your ADSL connection?

Enter your phone number into this form and display the results here, but edit out your phone number before you post the results.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Hi,

I have done the test requested and the results are below. I have double checked download speed yet again and I am still reaching about 200kbps at most.Screenshot_2679.png

0 Ratings