cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alicat1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Internet keeps dropping, advised that I may be able to get fibre but unsure where to start with that

We just moved to this house on the 11th June, got a contract sorted with BT (since they originally couldn't pull up this address) and received the hub (4) around the 20th. Broadband worked fine for a few months, until the start of September. Now I get a lot of drop outs, usually in the bands of 12-3pm and then 8pm-12am. I booked an engineer, which BT cancelled due to "finding a fault" at the exchange which they fixed. That changed the drop outs from 10-20 in a row, to 1-5 in a burst (still enough that trying to do much on the internet is difficult).

Given that the problem wasn't fixed, I arranged another engineer to come out. They tested the line and couldn't find anything at the time, but told me that it wasn't their first time at this property and that there is a problem here (intermittant so hard to pinpoint). What they did tell me is that PCP/Cabinent 9 is enabled for FTTC and close enough for a fibre connection, but this house for whatever reason is connected to PCP/Cabinent 8 (about 3 miles away). They advised trying to get BT to run a line from PCP 9 to the house for better speed/stable connection, though I'm unsure who to even contact to get that started! I'm also slightly wary about BT's supposed "offers" to existing customers, given that it appears to be paying full price (despite advertising it as the same price as "new" customers). I'd be happy to stay on my current package if it were stable!

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Internet keeps dropping, advised that I may be able to get fibre but unsure where to start with

First of all its Openreach and not BT that are responsible for the network.

Secondly, Openreach can't just 'run a line' from a different Cabinet to your house, the engineer should have known that. It would take a complete underground network re-arrangement to do it. Premises are not connected individually to cabinets they are connected by a network of underground cables, a single premises can't be moved individually.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: Internet keeps dropping, advised that I may be able to get fibre but unsure where to start with

If the fault persists, you need to get the engineers back until they pinpoint the source of the fault, it sounds as though they weren't very diligent in attempting to trace it.

0 Ratings
Alicat1
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

This property is in "rural" Wales (not sure I'd class it as rural, but still), where most of the fibre stuff is still overhead cables, actual underground stuff is few and far between. My knowledge on that side is lacking though, just what I can see!

Just wary about getting slapped with the £130 fee if I persist, can't afford that one.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Underground/overhead, the principles are the same.

Don't worry about the £130, as long as the fault exists when connected to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket, the fault is external to your house. The engineers have already admitted there is an intermittent fault.

Can you put your number in the checker here and post a screenshot of the result please, remember to edit out your phone number before posting but leave exchange and cabinet details.

0 Ratings
Alicat1
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Screenshot_299.png

Here you go! Speed's not great, though it's not a bother. The bother is the lack of stability all of a sudden.

Thanks for the help, by the way. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

I'm afraid the only advice I can give is to persist with getting the engineer to find the fault.

I can't find either Cab8 or Cab9 looking around on Google street view but I suspect they are in opposite directions from your location and  a re-route impossible. Cab8 is allegedly somewhere along station road Letterston and Cab9 in the middle of nowhere possibly near Sykes dairy farm.

0 Ratings
Alicat1
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

I'll keep on to them then! Cab 8 I have no idea, Cabinent 9's sat on a grass bank if you follow the lanes to Letterston from the house (think it's fairly new though, probably not easy to pull up). Thanks again. 🙂
0 Ratings