Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
donali1963
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Is my noisy line causing problems?

Go to solution

Happy new year all.  I live in a rural part of Orkney and my broadband has always been poor (0.7 to 1.5 mbps download).  I recently got a Home Hub 6 but it kept disconnecting, sometimes every 10minutes.  This was a problem I never noticed with the HH5.  I tried everything including connecting the Home Hub into the master socket with a filter.  Eventually I got fed up with the HH6 and use the HH5 exclusively.  Last week I ordered Fibre as I am now able to access FTTC.  At the moment I have been on an Exchange Only (EO) line with the exchange being 5km (or so) away.  The new FTTC Cabinet is 0.5km away.  The DSL checker says I should get 7Mbps but I think (hope) hat is a low estimate.  My question is – should I report a fault on my line due to constant disconnects or just wait to be connected to FTTC.  My stats are posted below for information. 

4. Board version:

BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime:

0 days, 00:44:32

6. Data rate:

448 / 1920

7. Maximum data rate:

856 / 2080

8. Noise margin:

13.0 / 9.2

9. Line attenuation:

31.5 / 62.2

10. Signal attenuation:

31.5 / 59.5

Thanks 

Don

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is my noisy line causing problems?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Noise on your phone calls will cause problems on your broadband, and this is still likely to be there on FTTC, and cause even more problems, as most line faults are between the cabinet and the customer.

I would be inclined to report the noisy line, and get that sorted now.

donali1963
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I did the noisy line test 17070 but hear nothing.  I am assuming its a noisy line due to the stats posted in my original post.  Am I right is assuming this?

8. Noise margin:

13.0 / 9.2

9. Line attenuation:

31.5 / 62.2

10. Signal attenuation:

31.5 / 59.5

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If there is no noise, then your line is fine. The noise margin on that long line, is probably about right.

Leave things alone until you are moved over to FTTC, although the cabinet looks like it going to be some distance away, based on your expected speed.

donali1963
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply and help. The cabinet is about 0.5km away so I was surprised at the expected speed. I can also confirm that its 0.5km as I can follow the cable so its a true distance rather than as the crow flies.
0 Ratings