cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Is there a better, more accurate, speed test than the BT Wholesale code?

Although the BT speedtest.btwholesale.com has been a reliable tool for years, for the last several months it consistently shows lower than expected upload and download speeds, even though the reported IP profile is always higher and usually almost double the "measured" speed.

Other speed testers, notably beta.speedtest.net and speedof.me, give upload and download speeds which are always broadly consistent with the IP profile.

Is the issue with the BT version perhaps related to use of deprecated Flash technology?  Indeed, have BT developed a Flash-independent speedtester in line with the aforementioned products?

Alan
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Is there a better, more accurate, speed test than the BT Wholesale code?

the btspeedtester has been giving incorrect results as others have posted but it appears to happen when firefox is used so can you try chrome or edge/IE and see if that helps get more accurate results

it is only test accepted by wholesale

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

chromespeedtest_180401.jpgChrome shows a quite unbelievable download speed, totally inconsistent with anything ever measured on this line, especially as this is an Exchange only line with no cabinet between me and the exchange. See the image above.

Edge, however, does appear to be more realistic than Firefox, (and Chrome!)

edgespeedtest_180401.jpg

Both browsers, however, are showing results for speedtest.net  that are consistent with Firefox.

Looks like I need to use, (much against my better judgment), Edge for at least some of my online activity!

Hard to believe that others on this exchange, living further away, and cabinet connected get much better speeds.  Have to wonder why tbh.

Alan
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

if you want some input from the forum then post your router stats and also enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

are you currently using the test socket with a filter as that should be your best conenction whether master is filtered version or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

The connection is via a filter inserted in an "original" socket, with no test socket built in. (Yes, they still exist!)

The feedback from that link shows that I can expect:

WBC ADSL 2+ Downstream rate - Up to 10 Downstream range - 8 to 12

which fits in with my router stats which show a downstream rate of ~ 9700

Basically, having had various conversations over the years with the excellent Belfast (?) support centre that seems to be about right for this line because it is a direct exchange connection.

So, that is not really an issue, unless and until BT apply fttc technology to exchange only lines.

My query, which you have clarified, was about the significant deterioration apparent when measuring via FireFox. Using your post as a pointer, I find that the issue has been very widely reported on various tech Forums and seems to be linked to Firefox v56 and earlier. Not sure about later versions because with the changes made by Firefox a number of my preferred, and useful, add-ons won't work on Firefox 57+. Basicallty, it's a trade-off between usability and security in my case.

Interesting that the major discrepancy using Chrome to check still exists as I have made several further sanity checks. Chrome is up-to-date, but I don't know if that issue is specific to me or more general.

Perhaps there is a case for BT to update it's technology to match current browsers.

Alan
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Download a very large file and look at the download speed in Firefox or time how long it takes to download.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

I think the issue of incorrect speed test results is, in some ways, resolved.

First, the continued use by BT of Flash technology does not help. Flash is now widely deprecated, and by default, is blocked by all current browsers. The BT software does not sit well with later versions of Firefox.

I have used several different browsers and checked the BT indicated speed and the speeds measured by beta.speedtest.net and speedof.me, both of which follow modern protocols and avoid Flash.

The results are interesting to me, and perhaps they may be of interest to others reading this post.

Firefox, recent versions:

Wildly inconsistent BTspeed test readings.
beta.speedtest.net and speedof.me both gave consistent speeds at the expected level.

Pale Moon, a Firefox fork based on an earlier version of Firefox:

BTspeedtest, beta.speedtest.net and speedof.me all gave consistent speeds at the expected level.

Chrome:

BTspeedtest gave quite ridiculous and unfeasibly high speeds.
beta.speedtest.net and speedof.me both gave consistent speeds at the expected level.

Edge:

BT speedtest, beta.speedtest.net and speedof.me all gave consistent speeds at the expected level.

Conclusions.

Edge was the most consistent and accurate and PaleMoon was a close match. Firefox gave consistently low BT speedtests and Chrome was, ridiculously inaccurate.

Use Edge for getting a realistic idea of BT speeds, although the real test is, basically, does your current speed allow you to do everything you wish with no issues? If so, not much to worry about!

Alan
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Message 2 of 7

Download a very large file and look at the download speed in Firefox or time how long it takes to download.

Yes, this is exactly how speedof.me works. That downloads a succession of file, from 512kb, 1,2, 4 and 8Mb In the background it monitors time taken and the result is based on that.

Alan
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

I used to use BT Wholesale Speed Test but have also noticed inaccurate results since migrating away from Flash.

BBC iPlayer lists various speed checkers: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/speed_checker_online

I ended up using 'Broadband Speed Test'

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

##or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.###

I M Jollys replies are consistently unhelpful , and ''Solved'' are very misleading .
0 Ratings