cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Is this Broadband Speed acceptable ?

Go to solution

I was at my daughters flat today and checked out her BT broadband speed using my Speedtest app because she was complaining about her rubbish broadband.

I tried six different locations throughout her flat including sitting next to the router itself.  The results are as follows:

Ping 25 Download 2.61 Mbps Upload 0.31 Mbps

Ping 26 Download 2.60 Mbps Upload 0.30 Mbps

Ping 25 Download 2.68 Mbps Upload 0.30 Mbps

Ping 26 Download 2.58 Mbps Upload 0.28 Mbps

Ping 26 Download 2.61 Mbps Upload 0.28 Mbps

Ping 25 Download 2.56 Mbps Upload 0.22 Mbps

She has the Homehub 4.0 - Type A Router and it has a ADSL Modem Filter fitted and this was actually all installed by BT themselves, because the flat was newly refurbished and BT said it had to be done by them, rather than just sending the router out to plug it in herself.  I'm astonished that the BT engineer did not check this speed, if I was there, its the first thing I would have done before he left the building !!

It was a new contract starting from October 2021.

Is this speed acceptable? I am guessing not and I have told her to get onto BT to sort it out.....or am I wrong ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is this Broadband Speed acceptable ?

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

The speeds you are quoting are download speeds but speeds BT quote are connection speeds and no guarantee on download speed

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

What service did she sign up to & what is her speed guarantee in the email she received when signing up?

It seems rather odd that a HH4 would have been supplied in 2021 given that it's a very old device.

What does the BT checker report as available?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Post a screenshot with the phone number removed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for that, I'll have to do this myself, next time I pop over, because she does not have a physical landline phone. I also do not have a physical phone, but I can buy a cheap corded one from Currys PC World to do the test.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I talked to BT on Live Chat today, they are sending out a more up to date Smart Hub Router.

I expect this may help.  If it doesn't, they will do more testing on the actual line .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You really need to look at the broadband checker as previously advised.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

as you have adsl still then the HH4 is supposed to be the best router for that connection and the hh5 onwards are better for vdsl but up to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings