cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 35

Jerky Connection - Impossible to play online games - HELP!

I recently switched over to BT ADSL internet. My connection with my old ISP was fine and had no problems. However now my connection seems very inconsistent which is particularly noticeable during online games because data is constantly being transferred.

Instead of the game characters moving around smoothly as usual, they jerk from position to position. My ping is fine though (<20). I made a short video so this can be seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTqO6-oLfE

This problem is not constrained to just gaming though. Webpages sometimes seem to 'hang' until I refresh and suffer occasional short disconnects. If I ping google.co.uk for example, you can see various losses and lag spikes:

Here is the status of my line:

Is there anything un-usual with these results? Things I have already tried include:

- Resetting Router

- Different Router

- Different Microfilters

- Different Computers

- Disabling Antivirus and Firewall

- Port Forwarding

Using a wired connection with an iPlate and BT Home Hub 3.0. Im a new customer and clearly something is not right - playing games online is virtually impossible. Ive already tried BT online help but seems if I want any more advice than "reset the router" I have to call a premium rate number!? Does BT block any ports or throttle the connection at all? Would it be possible for a BT engineer to come and investigate the problem and maybe fit a new socket?

Thanks for any advice, Ben. 

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 35

Re: Jerky Connection - Impossible to play online games - HELP!

have you tried connecting to the test socket also have you tried the quiet line test 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise you have errors that are higher than normal indicating line noise
the ping test is fine
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 35

your connection speed appears ok for your current attenuation but there are a lot of crc/hec errors and errors seconds for a conenction time of only 12hrs.  with number of changes you have tried each requiring a reset I am surprised that your noise margin is still only 4.5db

I see you use an iplate so must have an NTE5 master socket.  have you tried connecting to the test socket with a new filter and see if that helps. if you do conenct to test socket can you repost new stats please.

can you also run btspeedtester and post results

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 35

Thanks for the fast replies. Sounds like these errors could explain the issues Im having then.

- Unfortuately Im having problems removing the iplate to expose the test socket. The screws connecting the front plate just spin continueously and feels if I use too much force the whole bracket will come off the wall! Its very old and fragile, which is why I wondered if it would be possible for an engineer to come a fit a new modern socket perhaps?

- I have tried various different filters (the new BT ones and some old ones I had)

- I only have a cordless phone, but the quiet line test seems ok - just hums.

- Here are my results from BT Speed Tester: http://i.imgur.com/GgNffJ7.jpg

- Additionally heres results from another test, MyConnection Server: http://i.imgur.com/ct5WtTS.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 35

the speedtest looks ok with download speed consistent with profile

openreach will come and fit a new faceplate/socket but you will end up paying £99 for callout.  will the screws not come out with a little bit of force to separate the 2 pieces as you unscrew?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 35

Thanks for the reply. Yeh I know the speed is ok, but its the jerkiness of the connection that is the problem! Obviously something is not right and all those errors confirm it.

I had to cut the screws to get it off but I finally managed to get access to the master socket (not much difference although has only been connected 1.5 minutes):

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 35

leave the hub for a few hours in the test socket and post back the stats then so we can the errors then
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

need to leave it in test socket and post new stats later tonight so give a better idea of error build up

0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 35

Ok, left it for about 5.5 hours just in the master socket, here are the results:

Still lots of errors and the gameplay is still very jerky and webpages freeze on loading occassionally. Whats the next step?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 35

There are a lot of crc/hec errors for just 5hrs connected.

0 Ratings