cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 35

Re: Jerky Connection - Impossible to play online games - HELP!

getting interleaving turned on will help reduce some errors also are you using a wired or wireless connection to the hub ?

were you connected to the test socket ?

This link may also give some suggestions http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 35

Wired connection directly to the hub from the master test socket using high quality cables and filters. None of the things suggested apply to me. What is the next step? Im not paying for broadband I cant use!...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 35

contact the mods and ask for latency to be changed to interleaved and if that does not solve high errors then get noise margin increased to 6db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 35

Thanks for your help both of you. That sounds like a good idea, but Id ideally like to stay on the Fast Path connection if possible for low pings, so would it be a good idea to ask about increasing the noise margin first if this would help?

Alternatively do you think it would be possible for an engineer to come and investigate the problem and possibly fit a new socket? Seems Ive done everything my power to check for problems; different routers, different filters, test socket etc. The only things remaining are the socket itself or the line. Since they are both property of BT themselves surely they have a responsibility to ensure they are working correctly since the current service is unacceptable...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 35

If you got engineer callout I would expect that you will get chasrged £99 callout as your conenction shows good speed and no problem with the socket.  I would have gone for interleaving first but you can contact mods and ask for noise margin to be reset to 6db which will reduce your current conenction speed.  this is not a permanent fix as the automatic system may well revert the margin back to 3db in space of few weeks if it sees line is ok and stable 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 35

i agree interleaving first there is nothing wrong as you have a good stable connection when using the test socket you will just be charged for the visit as the master does not need replacing
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 35

Thanks for the replies, but I cant see how you can say there is nothing wrong - you said yourself I am getting an unusually high number of errors even when using the test socket! And from using my internet with the jerkiness problem its clear something is not right (again just with test socket).

Ive ruled out everything my end by using different filters and routers so the only thing left seems to be the socket or the phone line itself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 35

the crc/hec errors could potentially be solved by either getting conenction changed to interleaved and/or getting noise margin increased to 6db.  Both will have the result of reducing your errors without the need for an engineer visit and will help your throughput

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 35

have you ensured all power and signal leads are kept separate
0 Ratings
coldside
Message 20 of 35

BENBOBBY - I think I have exactly the same problem as you do.

I cannot even connect to an external server when playing online games. The game just stops at "Trying to connect to server" before it just times out. Websites also just hang and need multiple refreshes in order to finally load -- I even had difficulty trying to get to this forum page! 

This is really bad service. I have had BT Broadband now for 2 weeks and in the first week it was fine (not spectacular, but ok) but the last week has been horrible.

0 Ratings