cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 35

Re: Jerky Connection - Impossible to play online games - HELP!

@ coldside if you would please start your own post we can then help you further as your problems can well be different
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 35

Well I spoke to BT support and got an engineer round yesterday and now:

- Fitted a new modern master socket

- Replaced the junction box

- Increased the noise margin to 6dB

- Set connection to interleaved

- Also bought new high quality RJ11 cables

The speed is better (which I wasnt concerned about), but am still getting disconnections, poor quality jerky connection (if using skype, streaming or gaming) and lots of errors on my line by the looks of it:

Seems to have done nothing to help the issues I was having, so what next?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 35

your noise margin is now down to 3db but you have very large number of crc/hec errors and error seconds for only 5 hrs conencted.  this will be killing your throughput - run btspeedtester and post results please.

did engineer fit a filtered faceplate of just a standard NTE5 master socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 35

Thanks for the reply. Its a OpenReach filtered socket. Turns out they hadnt adjusted the noise margin yet so gave them a call and they increased it to 6dB as arranged and asked me to leave it 48hours to stablise. Here are the new results.

The connection seems more stable now and havent been disconnecting, but there still seems to be a lot of errors and still have the original problem of a jerky connection (if using skype, streaming or gaming). Games are still virtually unplayable its so bad. What should I do now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 35

the engineer changes have significantly reduced your errors - is connection ok during the day but 'jerky' at night?  are you still using ethernet not wifi?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 35

Ok thats good. Any time of day it occurs, and its constant. Could it be the MTU setting on the router perhaps?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 35

nothing to do with MTU as the home hub is set and cannot be adjusted you have a lot of noise still causing you problems have a look at this link it may help you http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397
0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 35

Thanks for the reply. I cant understand where this noise is coming from though! Its away from any sources of interferrence. What row on the table are you referring to? Noise margin?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 35

it's the number of errors on crc/hec and errors seconds.  noise margin higher than before but not 6db although it could have been set to 6db and your margin is stating to erode

is it possibel to post new stats to compare with last set please

0 Ratings
BENBOBBY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 35

Here you go. Hows it look now?

0 Ratings