cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 74

Junction box.......

Have just been round to my neighbours in order to try and improve her broadband connection. The first thing I noticed is that the drop line goes to the junction box, just inside the front door, and then there are 2 leads coming from this junction box, one goes to the upstairs, and one goes to a nte5 box in the front room. Surely this cannot be right ? 

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
73 REPLIES 73
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 74

Re: Junction box.......

that's not right and highly unlikely fitted by BT engineer more like DIY.  the extension cable should be fitted to the master other wise when using the tes socket the extension is still live and therefore cannot be excluded

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 74

Thanks imjolly. That is exactly what I thought. She had an engineer out regarding the renewal of the drop line (as mine was) and all he did was fit a new socket downstairs. Obviously he didn't do any checks whatsoever, and just assumed that by fitting a new socket, that was the answer to everything. She did say he did not seem particularly helpful and was in a rush to get elsewhere........! 

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 74

@imjolly wrote:

that's not right and highly unlikely fitted by BT engineer more like DIY.  the extension cable should be fitted to the master other wise when using the tes socket the extension is still live and therefore cannot be excluded

I may of been done by BT before BB came along....:|

My neighbour has an interesting configuration on the outside of their property - Main wire from pole to the grey junction on the outside wall, then a cable comes off that to the main NTE5, as you'd expect, but also another cable (using the standard BT gel crimps) from the same grey box to an old telephone extension. For years the cover has been open and the extension cable (now redundant) just blows in the wind.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 74

Out of interest I thought i'd post my stats and then her stats. Room for improvement i'd say...........Smiley Wink

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 21:26:53
Downstream:18.51 Mbps
Upstream:888.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.2 dB / 13.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):15.8 dB / 7.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.1 dBm / 11.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):3347554 / 1886
CRC Events (Down/Up):17 / 62
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):1056 / 184
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):15 / 4
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 74

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:1 days, 01:30:40
Downstream:9.492 Mbps
Upstream:1.106 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.4 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):17.2 dB / 9.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.2 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):119321734 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):38605 / 61
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):11169 / 94
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):47879 / 43

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 74

even the attenuation is 2db higher than you never mind the large number of errors on slower connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 74

I did notice that when I checked her hub stats there wer only 5 lines of information before it came up with "limit of user log". It then went onto list dozens and dozens of auto channel selection lines going back to last year. I am hopeful that a factory reset of her hub will sort this out.........I'll find out at 5........!

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 74

I assume the attenuation is slightly higher simply because her drop line is about 13 feet longer than mine.....ie the width of a tarraced house.......

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 74

don't know how this got moved to this board as it is about the junction box not the stats    still I will just leave it in case you want to post stats and look at connection after reset

0 Ratings