Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Keep losing broadband - BT says line ok

Go to solution

I have a problem with my broadband repeatedly dropping out. I've tried three routers - Homehub 4, 5 and a Netgear DG834G. All with different cables, filters and power supplies. The wireless connection to the hub is always fine. The filter is currently plugged into the NT5 diagnostic socket, though I don't have any other extension wiring anyhow. 

A quiet line test shows quite a bit of noise on the line and sometimes this increases and coincides with the broadband dropping, though I never lose the phone connection.

The problem is far worse during and after rain. 

A problem was recently identified during a BT broadband check and the fault showed on the accompanying fault log as a  "BT Retail Server' error. The job was closed and for about 5 days after there were no problems until the end of last week.

For the past few days the broadband has been dropping out numerous times - sometimes only up for less than a minute. My problem is that another diagnostic check shows no fault with the line and the only option is to book an engineer, with the liability for a hefty charge if no fault is found, which I cannot afford. I'm convinced the fault is with the line.

Previously we've had issues with water ingress in the connection box at the pole. The aerial line also only has a single useable pair due to internal damage.

Is there any way of carrying out a remote diagnostic, or monitoring the line so that I can be sure of the situation?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 15

Re: Keep losing broadband - BT says line ok

Go to solution

i had an intermitent problem earlier in the year that was driving me crazy. Everytime i rang BT they asked me the same questions and got me to do the same checks with filters etc etc over and over again. Eventually had the  engineer out  3 times. they finally traced fault down to a component in the exchange (my line connects directly to exhange rather than via a green cabinet) Anyway....i guess moral is keep perservering with BT and  don 't let them grind you down to believe there is no problem when you know there is. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

if you have line noise when trying quiet line test from test socket then you need to phone 151 and report a phone fault without any mention of broadband   get phoneline fixed and broadband will improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you @imjolly and @kgn76, I'll give 151 a try when/if the line continues to be problematic.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

An update on this problem

I phoned 151 yesterday following more drop outs in broadband and a noisy phone line. The automated check said there was nothing wrong with the line and I selected the option to speak to an advisor with a warning that there would be 10-20 minute wait. I finally got through to the call centre and explained that the original fault that BT had closed as 'resolved' had not fixed the problem.

Advisor 1 agreed that there was a problem with the line it was certainly crackling then and that he would "raise a complaint" and transfer me to the landline team who would answer "within 2 minutes" but I waited almost as long as the first time before they answered.

Advisor 2  had me confirm my identity all over again and explain just why I was on the other end of the line.

I then went through the pantomime of them  phoning me back on my mobile just to instruct me to disconnect the main socket so they could 'test' the line and then plug it back in and make a call  to prove that it was all fine and that I could make calls and could I look to see if my broadband was on - well it was because the line had stablised a little this morning as the weather had dried up, so this was supposed to prove that everything was working.

So advisor number 1 agrees there's a problem, advisor number 2 tells me it's all ok.

So at the end of this pointless exercise I have to reiterate the reason I have called is that the fault originally logged and acknowledged as a fault has still not been fixed despite it being closed. My phone line and broadband drop out frequently after heavy rain, that we've plugged in 3 different routers, have tried 3 filters and have a brand new BT approved cable.

I ended the call with a request for an engineer visit (at which point I was warned with the £129.99 charge threat) and this was booked for Monday, then this morning we got a call to say he was on his way! unexpected but welcome.

The good news is that the Open Reach engineer was very thorough,  and carried out various repairs to the overhead cable and the terminals in the box on the pole that serves our property which were in a bad state. I won't describe in detail but it took some time. If water is also getting in elsewhere then it will be another call for further investigation as the problem may then lie within the underground chambers where it may be getting in, the line is holding up so far.

Just to end... I have to relate this, a few years ago we had a direct lightning strike here, the socket in the house was blown off the wall, nothing left but melted plastic, bits of socket and soot up the wall, when my husband reported this

the call centre insisted that there was nothing wrong with the line.Woman LOL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hopefully engineer has fixed your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
Welcome to my world....BT have completely lost the plot recently. My impression is that existing customers are simply an inconvenience to be fobbed off at every opportunity.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I've now had another two engineer visits and the problem is still happening. The second engineer identified that one of the intermediate overhead spans had been hit by lightning. He replaced this section as he said it was peppered with splits. He left a piece of cable and it is sooty inside and some of the conductors are burnt through. Incidentally, the contact centre said there was no fault with line and the problem was with my equipment. After a very short time the line was dropping again. I raised another call which was identified as a 'BT Retail Server Fault' and nothing done about it.

We've tried double filters, phones disconnected and still have a problem.

A further call was logged and another engineer visited this week. He said the line checked out fine. I had recorded the noise during a quiet line test, but this was of no interest. I also said that the broadband frequently dropped when making or receiving a telephone call. Anyhow, he said that all of the spans really needed replacing, not just a section but he's an apprentice and was not able "to carry out any work that would amount to an infrastructure upgrade".

He did bypass the screw-terminal box with gel grimps on the distribution pole, but never came back to re-test the line. The broadband started dropping right away, but he'd gone onto the next job and said we'd need to raise another call.

Yesterday I took my three telephones to my father-in-law to test on his BT line. They're silent and voices are loud and clear. At home,  even plugged directly into the NTE5 socket with the faceplate removed, the line is noisy to the point of being unusable for most of the time. The volume level is very low and distorted.

I can't stand another 40+ minutes with the ridiculous contact centre, their threats of charges, and another fruitless engineer visit.

Is there any way someone could take a proper look at this, and not just rush away to the next job?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

see if mods can organise another engineer to fix the line noise  they will post a contact us link here  

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Guzzigirl and thanks for posting.

If the enigneer has recommended replacing multiple spans of cabling it could be a very long process trying to get that arranged. I can take a look at this and see if there's anything we can do to help push it in the right direction. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David