Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mackey18
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Latency spikes and Packet Loss

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing some frustrating behaviour on my line. Very frequently I find that I get latency and packet loss spikes at random times. As far as I can tell it's not periodic and sometimes it's not present at all. I'm beginning to think it's a degrading copper line, but thought to come on here and ask around first.

The symptoms are such:

• Downloads frequently get interrupted (though no internet drop out)
  • Lag spikes in online games
  • Packet loss on Traceroutes using DSLReports.com (I can attach the report if necessary)

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I've got a Billion BiPac 7800DXL as a Modem and a Netgear as a router, though I know the problem was ocurring before I purchased the Netgear. I've done the usual and changed the filters etc, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Latency spikes and Packet Loss

Have you tried using the billion as both the modem and router?

Are you testing wired or wirelessly?

Where in the traceroutes are the packets being dropped?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Jleyland1239
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Had this problem for 8 years ate, told us we would get fibre half a decade ago, they said it's not profitable enough for them, yet they have money to buy out football tv rights thank god of on have taken open reach off them where I live in St. Helens the highest anyone has on the estate is 3mb download absolute disgrace.

0 Ratings
Mackey18
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi thanks for the reply and sorry for the slow reply. I'm testing wired and I remember getting this exact issue with the Billion as both the modem and the router.

As for the trace route, I haven't done one via the terminal (mac) to see where the problem is, but this report has done one which shows a 5% loss: http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/733bb345984c/3413451?r=165#

Mike
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Need to know where the packetsare being lost. Which hop?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

@Jleyland1239 wrote:

Had this problem for 8 years ate, told us we would get fibre half a decade ago, they said it's not profitable enough for them, yet they have money to buy out football tv rights thank god of on have taken open reach off them where I live in St. Helens the highest anyone has on the estate is 3mb download absolute disgrace.

I understand your frustration, but unfortunately nobody on here can help as this is a BT Retail forum. It is unfortunate BT plc choose to spend such as high amount on football rights, but we have no idea how this will have affected other arms of the company such as Openreach. On the plus side, Ofcom have plans to legally separate Openreach from BT plc so we may see changes in the future.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mackey18
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Hi Webby,

According to that report somewhere between hops 19 and 21, where 21 is my IP address.

Mike

Tags (1)
0 Ratings