Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Less than 0.5mbps download speed.

Please help!

I've had issues with BB dropping bi-weekly since last July but last week it escalated to where it was continually cutting out every single night around 10pm until late the next morning. I called and they told me this was due to an area fault which has been resolved on Saturday. My BB is now no longer cutting out every night, the problem is my speed has not went above 1mbps, regularly below 0.5. Meaning its redundant. I've done countless speed tests both wireless and with ethernet getting the same results. Every advisor keeps telling me someone will contact but never does and I end up with a big standard "your bb should now be back to normal" email meaning I have to call in and repeat the process over again, leading me to making this account looking for some help! 

I'm sure you can appreciate with the world on lockdown, having no Internet is a MASSIVE inconvenience to my family. I can't even load a YouTube video at 144p on a single device. My son is a student at University who's now  going to miss deadlines as his course is now having to be taught online with the pandemic.

Please can someone fix my broadband speeds! 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Less than 0.5mbps download speed.

@Kmacd59 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Which BT Home Hub are you using?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

As it says when you join that this is a customer help customer community forum.   Your post does not go to BT

which version of the hub are you using?

is there any line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone preferably from test socket 

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Thank you both for the replies. As I said, no one at BT is helping me anyway so anything is appreciated.

My hub is a Home hub 4.0 Type-A. I've asked for replacements but was denied and told the hubs will last 11 years (I used to work for Sky BB and doubt this very much. Any kind of hub at most lasts usually 4/5 years in my experience.) 

We have no home phone and never have. No one ever has. The building itself is less than 6 years old and we are the first to live here. I performed the wholesale tests with the results below...

Screenshot (79).png

I've read in other posts in the forum that you should leave your hub on for at least 3 days after area faults and in most cases the speeds go back to normal but mine have gotten worse. Last independent speed check I done using Ookla gave me a reading 0.02mbps. Please help lol.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

the most basic check for broadband problems is to check your have a dial tone and then if you have to check for line noise.  broadband will work with 1 of the 2 wires connected but very slowly but your phone needs both connected.  no dial tone then you need to report a phone fault not broadband

have you tried using the test socket to eliminate a problem with master faceplate and any internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

You will need to check using a phone.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

Can you also please post the connection information from your home hub?

The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

When using a Hub 3, you will see an option at the bottom right hand corner to select 'full details'. click on this, copy the info displayed and post the results. If using a BT Home Hub 4 or 5 navigate to 'Troubleshooting' then to 'Logs'. You will then find two lines which will state 'DSL noise margin' and 'DSL line rate', copy this info and include this in your post.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Thanks for the reply again.

When I first reported the signal dropping completely every night they said it was due to a fault on the phone line with work ongoing in the area but that issue has been fixed. They sent me an email saying my BB should be back to normal, it no longer cuts out every night but my speed has only gotten worse. Like I said, there's never been a home phone. I've tried the ADSL directly into test sockets and run through every other troubleshooting multiple times over. Nothing helps. I'm reluctant to go out in a lockdown just to buy a corded telephone on a Hail Mary chance my phone line that's never been used might have some noise. It would also mean having to unplug my router which will negate any waiting period meaning if there isn't any problems with the phone line, I'd have to wait at least another 3 days before they can perform a line reset. Is there anything else I can try before having to do this? Appreciate your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

your landline is in constant use by your broadband but if you have no dial tone on a phone then a reset is not going to help your connection  can you not borrow a phone from a neighbour just to test the line.  you need to start with basic test then work from there.  no point making other changes or tests if the basic line in not working

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Without a phone, there is nothing else I can suggest, as the phone and the broadband both originate in the exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

My neighbors do not have home phones either, neither does any of my family or friends. I don't know anyone who does use one nowadays as they're pretty much redundant for anything apart from cold calls. Should the engineer who was out a few days ago (supposedly going from the email I was sent) not have been able to tell if their was interference on the phone lines? 

On checking the HomeHub I can see there was a remote reboot by Openreach so the uptime is now under 2 days. these are the DSL stats you asked for. 

06:50:04, 18 Apr.(57573.0100000) DSL noise margin: 6.10 dB upstream, 30.60 dB downstream
06:50:04, 18 Apr.(57572.950000) DSL line rate: 1163 Kbps upstream, 1150 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings