Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mackey18
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 27

Line being capped again.

Hi guys,

I was messing around with my router, playing with lots of different settings over a few days which then of course led to my speed dropping because of all the disconnects. I suspected my line had been put on a profile cap, and even though I left it for 10 days without a single disconnect I never got my speed back. I then, just over the past two days or so, started playing around some more thinking that it wasn't in fact a profile cap. My router is one of those that let's you fiddle with SNR margins (even though generally I leave it at 6db) and allows you to change which modulation type you sync with, and that was when I was able to confirm that it was a line cap as no matter what I changed, the speed would fluctate under 1152kbps, but never surpass it, 75% of the time with different settings it would set itself firmly at 1152kbps exactly. Before all this I was getting ~1.5-1.6mbps so would certainly like to go back to that. Would it be possible to get a moderator to help me remove this profile cap, it's awfully frustrating when that's approximately 50% speed in it.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Line being capped again.

you need to post your stats from your router and also btspeedtester diagnostic results.  you will need 3 days stable conenction before the mods normally intervene

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mackey18
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 27

xDSL
ModeADSL_2plus
Traffic TypeATM
StatusUp
Link Power StateL0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding (Trellis)OnOn
SNR Margin (dB)6.28.4
Attenuation (dB)76.547.0
Output Power (dBm)0.012.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps)1812540

Rate (Kbps)1078444

Ok above are the router stats. I don't know how the profile cap normally works but the attenuation is normally at 75dB. Regardless, the speed is slow for the SNR. in this case the router synced at 1078, but that's because ADSL2+ always seems to sync at a lower rate to the cap of 1152.

Here are the results from BTSpeedTester further Diagnostics (downstream achieved actually seems a bit lower than the actual download speed I receive):

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.65 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.95 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

with your line attenuation you are on a very long line and the connection speed you have is better than I would have expected profiles are not capped your IP profile is correct for the connection speed you have
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 27

your line does not look to be in a banded profile just connection low due to distance from the exchange.  with your attenuation I would have expected a better connection on adslmax.

your noise margin is about normal 6db again suggesting no banding

you have missed off the conenction time

having had a router where I could tweak the noise margin it was aleways advisable to do it in small drops reducing noise margin initially to 80% leaving to see if stable and if so another 5% and so on till I got to about 3db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mackey18
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 27

Right, john46, so you're saying that I didn't get ~1.5-1.6 mb? Seeing as I did that would mean that it's a fault that has caused this drop correct? The line attenuation increased by 2dB when this speed drop occurred, so maybe that's something to think about.

imjolly, the SNR has no effect, I can drop it down to 3 (from 6) or even to 1 and the speed won't surpass 1152. Before this issue, 6db would = ~1.2mb and 4.5dB (my optimum) = 1.5-1.6mb.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

no one is saying you may not have had higher connection speed but with your attenuation you are on the edge of broadband service and the slightest change in line conditions will have a large effect on your speed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

adsl2+ is more noise aggressive than adsl max and as imjolly posted you may get a better speed on adsl max
0 Ratings
Mackey18
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 27

You're right, a few months back when the BT engineer changed the loop from the distribution point it dropped us down from 82dB to 75dB and more than doubled our speed! That's why I'm a little frustrated with how despite this engineering work, the attenuation seems to have increased somewhat, thus lowering the speeds, which along with the reasoning discussed, is due to some sort of line cap.

As for syncing with ADSL Max, it caps out solidly at 1152, refuses to go higher no matter what.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

as has already been posted there is no capping the slightest change in attenuation at your line length will have the effect you are seeing the attenuation is controlled by your line length
0 Ratings