I was messing around with my router, playing with lots of different settings over a few days which then of course led to my speed dropping because of all the disconnects. I suspected my line had been put on a profile cap, and even though I left it for 10 days without a single disconnect I never got my speed back. I then, just over the past two days or so, started playing around some more thinking that it wasn't in fact a profile cap. My router is one of those that let's you fiddle with SNR margins (even though generally I leave it at 6db) and allows you to change which modulation type you sync with, and that was when I was able to confirm that it was a line cap as no matter what I changed, the speed would fluctate under 1152kbps, but never surpass it, 75% of the time with different settings it would set itself firmly at 1152kbps exactly. Before all this I was getting ~1.5-1.6mbps so would certainly like to go back to that. Would it be possible to get a moderator to help me remove this profile cap, it's awfully frustrating when that's approximately 50% speed in it.
you need to post your stats from your router and also btspeedtester diagnostic results. you will need 3 days stable conenction before the mods normally intervene
|Link Power State||L0|
|Line Coding (Trellis)||On||On|
|SNR Margin (dB)||6.2||8.4|
|Output Power (dBm)||0.0||12.6|
|Attainable Rate (Kbps)||1812||540|
Ok above are the router stats. I don't know how the profile cap normally works but the attenuation is normally at 75dB. Regardless, the speed is slow for the SNR. in this case the router synced at 1078, but that's because ADSL2+ always seems to sync at a lower rate to the cap of 1152.
Here are the results from BTSpeedTester further Diagnostics (downstream achieved actually seems a bit lower than the actual download speed I receive):
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.95 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
your line does not look to be in a banded profile just connection low due to distance from the exchange. with your attenuation I would have expected a better connection on adslmax.
your noise margin is about normal 6db again suggesting no banding
you have missed off the conenction time
having had a router where I could tweak the noise margin it was aleways advisable to do it in small drops reducing noise margin initially to 80% leaving to see if stable and if so another 5% and so on till I got to about 3db
Right, john46, so you're saying that I didn't get ~1.5-1.6 mb? Seeing as I did that would mean that it's a fault that has caused this drop correct? The line attenuation increased by 2dB when this speed drop occurred, so maybe that's something to think about.
imjolly, the SNR has no effect, I can drop it down to 3 (from 6) or even to 1 and the speed won't surpass 1152. Before this issue, 6db would = ~1.2mb and 4.5dB (my optimum) = 1.5-1.6mb.
You're right, a few months back when the BT engineer changed the loop from the distribution point it dropped us down from 82dB to 75dB and more than doubled our speed! That's why I'm a little frustrated with how despite this engineering work, the attenuation seems to have increased somewhat, thus lowering the speeds, which along with the reasoning discussed, is due to some sort of line cap.
As for syncing with ADSL Max, it caps out solidly at 1152, refuses to go higher no matter what.