Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamz946
Contributor
Message 11 of 29

Re: Line connection won't go above 3.969Mbps when it should be higher

Go to solution

Yeah I'm not too sure why it isn't displaying the stats in the logs, it never has on that HH5.

speed3.PNG

0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

Just looked at when it lost connection last night and this line was in the event log:

22:41:40, 07 Jan.               (386182.660000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Why would it be a user request? I certainly didn't reboot it, it seems to show it on every time it has gone. One of the times in the event log relates to when I did reboot it, but there was another at 1am which I definitely didn't do!

Thanks

edit: I just done a quick search and it come up with this blog post about someone who had several engineer visits and faults fixed etc etc, explaining how it was to do with the gear in the exchange? http://blog.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2014/03/24/bt-broadband-finally-fixed-maybe-bt-does-care-after-al...

I bring this up because, this is the original line that been in the house since we moved in, with only a master socket relocation once and a new drop wire from the telegraph pole to install a second line. The second line is only a couple years old, so could it be that this line is on old gear in the exchange, but the newer line isn't affected because it's on newer gear? A possibility, maybe? I'm very technical minded so stretching quite far here but seems a possibility.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

there is only adslmax available form your exchnage so both lines on same equipment.  the line form the logs has been raised before particularly in the infinity board - it wasn't a user request.

when you got the second line did engineer run new dropwire from pole or use the spare pair in your existing cable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

Ok, that's good to know.

The engineer ran a new wire to a grey box in the loft where it split into the two lines.

There was then a master socket relocation, I believe when we had issues before, possibly relating to one of my previous forum posts however may have been when I contacted via twitter. The relocation was done by using a waterproof tube on the outside wall to relocate this line to a new location and leave the other line going in through the loft.

Thanks

0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

I decided to plug the home hub into the test socket and see if it made any difference, I had tested this before and made no difference but thought it would be worth a shot, just annoying not having the extension socket connected but will be fine for a few days.

When I first plugged it in, the connection rate was 4.4mbps, which was better than it had ever been but after about a days uptime it lost connection again and dropped back down to 4, so that eliminates my home wiring, although it was weird it went up abit higher (albeit still lower than that it should be) for about 24 hours.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

pity you didn't post the stats when you were in the test socket  without the noise margin or error figures it is difficlt to say if this is best line will do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

I am still plugged into the test socket and experiencing the odd drop out and no increase in speed.

Like I said previously the hub does not show any noise margin information in helpdesk or in the event logs. I will change hubs and update you shortly.

0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

I have done a factory reset on an old home hub 3, and connected into the test socket with the appropiate filter.

I noticed the same symptom as with the home hub 5, where it takes an awful long time to establish a connection. 

This is what the speed test has observed: 

speed1.PNG

The event log and helpdesk section showed no SNR info in either, however this is shown in the connection part of the HH3, and are higher than I would expect but have unplugged the hub after only 1-2 days of up time: 

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state:           Connected

Connection time:             0 days, 00:07:17

Downstream:    4.563 Mbps

Upstream:          448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:               0/38

Type:     PPPoA

Modulation:       G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:     Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):            15.3 dB / 26.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):     39.1 dB / 21.0 dB

Output power (Down/Up):         19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 6 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up):                1 / 0

Any ideas please? I'm guessing the HH5 probably isn't working to it's fullest, but does not explain much. Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

your noise margin is very high and if you can get a stable connection for 3+ days and repost the stats the mods will reset back to 6db which will increase your speed to 7/8mb with corresponding increase in profile

0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

Yes that is what I am hoping to aim for. Having the extension socket plugged in reduces the speed so that must be the fault. Not sure why as it was recently installed but must be something to do with the extension socket itself or cable as I did observe some kinks in it. 

Should I leave the hub in the test socket to get the stability and proceed to get the extension replaced completely?

0 Ratings