cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Line fault affecting Broadband.

Having run the Broadband Tester it says that there is a fault and to ring 08001114567. I have been holding on for someone to answer for  nearly 1hr 51 mins. All I keep getting is "Thank you for holding, we are very busy, and apologise for the delay, your call will be answered as soon as possible"

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Line fault affecting Broadband.

@Car 

Is your phone working?

There has been a recent MSO which was affecting ADSL connections, which may be the cause.

If your phone is working, try restarting the home hub.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Phone is working. Tried the "Quiet Line test" on phone, anything but quiet ! All I hear is a 'hum'. The phone is a corded one and plugged into the main socket.

Resetting the Hub has no effect.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Earlier I tried the Broadband Test, this said there was a possible line fault and to report it on 0800 111 4567. After 2 hrs 21 mins I have finally abandoned the call !

Up until about a month ago our phone line always 'buzzed' and it was sometimes difficult to hear the caller or speak.

Broadband has always been a bit on the 'slow' side.

Since Monday 28th Sept 2020 we checked to make sure that we had been Upgraded to Halo 1 as per BT emails in March, June and finally July 2020. Our mobile data had not been 'doubled' as BT had said it would. The person I spoke to at BT then corrected this and said it would take a day or so. Since then the Broadband has been abysmal and trying to use the BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds is not possible !

Now it would appear there is a line fault, at a time when we are having one of the worst storms. Maybe the Cab or manhole is full of water?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Now it would seem the line has a 'Hum' again after being clear for the last month.

As I said earlier, tried the 'Quiet Line Test', all I can hear is a 'Hum', definitely NOT quiet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

What I found to work is requesting callbacks from the bot. Basically you text ADVISOR to 61998.  I don't know if that works fresh or if you have to do a fault report first but you can do the fault report with FAULT 0000000, where 0000000 is your landline number.  I got callbacks with 10 - 60mins if done midday/afternoon.  One at 5.30pm didn't get returned till the next day.

Assuming ADSL.  Have you tried unplugging your phone/or using another phone to check if the broadband becomes happy?  Also, if you have a spare splitter you could try taking the faceplate off the master socket and plugging directly in.

You want to try and narrow your config down to BT only hardware and if the problem persists you can just chuck it at them and keep pressing them to fix it (ok, hasn't worked completely for me so far but at least you're not going to get charged, and they won't be able to fob you off)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks JoeCool, I will try this.