Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Line in need of repair!

Hi,

I am having problems with my broadband, but unfortunately, it's very intermittent. One second the stats are fine, the next they are terrible.

I have done multiple line tests, but each time I do one, the error isn't there, but every so often, there is a lot of noise on the line, like somebody walking through snow.

Unfortunately, everytime I see/hear this, I try to do a line test, but it's not fast enough to catch the problem, and it keeps reporting fine. however, I do manage to do a quiet line test quickly enough to catch it, and it's really quite bad and crackly.

This problem has occurred before, and a BT engineer came out, and found a physical fault on the line, and fixed it. I now fear the icy cold weather, has once again struck and somehow has damaged the line again, and I believe that the fault is intermittent due to being blown about in the wind.

Because of this, I am worried that requesting an engineer visit, will be no use, as they will say the line is testing fine, but the sounds on the line, the stats on my router and the poor quality internet say otherwise.

I am quite familiar with testing, and have gone through all trouble shooting methods I could, ie. Changing filter, connecting to master socket behind face plate, checking internal wiring and disconnected all but router, but still the same problem exists. I actually use a Bipac 7800n router as opposed to the HH, but I have verified that the router is fine, by connecting the homehub, just to see, and the results were the same.

I know what my stats should be, and have been for the past few years, I monitor them regularly, so this isn't just a mindless complaint, I really do know something is amiss.

I have included a screenshot of my stats, and although as you can see the connection down is fine, the up connection is not.

BB Stats.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Dominic.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Line in need of repair!

welcome to the forum

are you currently connected to test socket as this will eliminate and problems from internal wiring?

is quiet line tets ok just now?

can you add internet connection time to the stats?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

your downstream noise margin is very high normal default is 6db your connection speed should be higher than it is with your attenuation
0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 4 of 25

Hi, yes, the attenuation is quite high, it's typically 13-15 but that's when I normally sync at between 3900 and 4000, because I have 'synced' at such a lower speed than normal, my attenuation down has increased.

As for the time of day, i didn't make a note of it, but it was about 10 mins before I posted the first message on here.

it has reset a couple of times since then.

My stats now are as follows:

BB Stats 02 at 18.36pm 16 Dec.jpg

Thanks for looking, and assisting.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 25

it is your noise margin that is high your attenuation does not vary
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

If has dropped that often today then are you connected to test socket?  Is quiet line test quiet?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Hi, sorry, I negleted to answer that part, Yes it is still connected to the test socket, and the quiet line test is still the same, sometimes quiet, sometimes noisy, but the sound isn't constant, it sounds crunchy for a few seconds, then clears, then happens again a few moments later, but it's not rythmic, just completely random.

As for the attenuation comment, I am aware it's not that, that I was referring to, I just typed that cos I was reading the stats, I did it without realising, but yes I meant the margin, not the attenuation 😕

Usually, in the past if I've ever had problems, it's been the Down, that's been the issue, I have rarely seen the Up being poor when the down is fine.

Stats have changed again, they are now:

Now, although the up stream is back to the 448 as  it normally should be, I have seen that a few times today, but the snr margin upstream is still only 9, when it should be around the 17-19 mark (As it has been for the past 6 or more years I've had broadband)

BB Stats 02 at 21.24pm 16 Dec.jpg

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 8 of 25

I have just done another quiet line test, and it's dead quiet, but I think thats because it's dead still outside, I live out in the countryside, just to clarify, so the slightest wind starts everything moving.
0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 9 of 25

When I checked today, it's gotten a little worse. 😞

BB Stats 02 at 10.23am 17 Dec.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

until the noise is solved your connection will not improve